Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
KoppaK
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Oil leak, oil pump cover

Post by KoppaK »

So after a frustrating afternoon wrestling the gearbox out of the wifes Minor to change the noisy gearbox I think I've found the source of the annoying oil leak from the bellhousing. I thought while the box is out I'll whip off the flywheel and check out the scroll seal, while there I spotted the oil seemed to be coming from the oil pump area with very little coming from the crankshaft area. Then it dawned on me the oil pump tin plate top hat isn't fitted and due to me being inherently lazy and in a rush when I fitted the engine I took the sellers word that it was ok and ready to fit and barely gave it a glance behind there. Problem is now I don't seem to be able to find anyone stocking the tin cover, does anyone have any idea where I can find one? I guess at a push I could make one but like I said I'm lazy :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Oil leak, oil pump cover

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes you need the tin cover - because there is an open 'vent' just below the oil pump - and fumes/oil vapour can escape from there. Probably need to pick up a complete used backplate - not aware of anyone selling just the 'tin'......or make one of course!
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Do you have a 948cc - 1098cc or 1275cc back plate fitted?
The 1098cc oil pump cover is Pt No: 12G276 (MOSS). No longer provided.
The 1275cc oil pump cover is Pt No: AEG553 (MOSS). No longer provided.
I may be able to help as I have several spare ones but will need the inside diameter of the hole that the cover fits into.
I doubt that you have a 948cc engine back plate as most covers were soldered in place so would (or should not) be able to go missing
Phil[frame]Image[/frame]
The 1275cc oil pump cover with the raised centre is on the right.

KoppaK
Minor Friendly

Post by KoppaK »

I think it's a 1098 plate ground out by the look of it, I'll take a better look tomorrow. Thanks