Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Offshore
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rear seat

Post by Offshore »

I am quite embarrassed about how much my rear seat passengers bounce vertically up and down when I am driving get.

All dampers are topped up and she had new leaf suspension fitted over the summer much improving the ride. It hasn't improved the rear seat.

A new seat kit whatever that contains is £220. Does anyone know what the rear seat kits contain and is there anything in the kits or that I can do to reduce the amount of bounce. It doesn't feel like a rollacoaster when in the back but is a rather alarming view in the mirror.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Rear seat

Post by aupickup »

take the springs out and replace with thick density foam
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

All adds to the fun!! This is quite normal in a minor :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

All adds to the fun!! This is quite normal in a minor :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Slow down over road humps :)
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Are the dampers filled with sae 40 oil ? And have you cut a good inch off the rear bump stops?? Indeed -are the bump stops there? Traveller rear suspension can be fine - with the above mods. DO NOT be tempted to go for a 'telescopic damper' conversion ! :roll:
ImageImage
Offshore
Minor Friendly

Post by Offshore »

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

bmcecosse the bump stops are there and in fact are new as they were replaced in summer when the springs were fitted. New bump stops were fitted at the front as one was hanging off when I stood under the car on the rampant at Wares.

Not sure about the damper oil. When I last looked it was clean and the dampers were full.

Bouncy seat has been an issue since I got the car. Will have a look at the seat springs. Father in law is booked to fly over for the TT so it jogged my mind. Yet another thing to do but she continues to improve.

I intend to keep her as original as possible so telescopics not being considered. No point in driving an old car without the fun! Only two modifications to Martha - spin on oil filter conversion and brake servo but she is a daily commute.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Cut an inch off the stops - and drain/refill the dampers with sae 40 oil - sold for compressors and m/bikes.
ImageImage
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Indeed, designers of road humps (particulary those in car parks) should be forced to ride in the rear seat of a 4 door saloon for 12 hours of mixed motoring , 3 of which around Dover House Road in Putney for starters followed by two circuits of wandsworth bridge roundabout at 30mph in the wet then brisk journey down the Great West Road to Bristol then to Lynmouth via Porlock Hill.