Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
The vast minority
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Thinking of buying this traveller but needs work

Post by The vast minority »

I can see that all is not well with the car check out the wood to cill interface, some misalignment looking at the photos.
A
I'm trying to get to see the car.

Opinions?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121816746542? ... EBIDX%3AIT
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Thinking of buying this traveller but needs work

Post by philthehill »

Looking at the pictures and at the price it looks to be a fair deal but of course you do need to see the vehicle close up and examine the underside.
Nothing that I can see from the pictures is insurmountable but as the seller says it does need some attention.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

You'd need to go and view it 1st and take the kickplates off and fully check it over and check the woods saveable. Iv just paid that much for my project tho its a one owner job with fully history and came with reconditioned wood. Does look a nice project tho. Some might say its priced high but if its as good as they've said it should be a nice project. They're only go up in value. Dont be afraid of asking someone to view it with you if you've never owned a minor before. 3 of us spent ages going over mine.

Steven
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Not many clues as to the condition of the underside! The wood looks rubbish to me. I'd guess it has a lot of patching and filler and would require complete replacement. Other than that, the fact that it has no MOT means it is likely to need all the usual brakes/steering/suspension overhauling. New tyres maybe? The body, such as we can see, doesn't look too bad but as others have said......
You've got to LOOK at a car like that. It is a restoration project. Sometimes you can buy a MUCH better one for less than the cost of restoration. Study other cars on the market - on here, on ebay and carandclassic website. Never underestimate the cost of restoring a Traveller :-?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I also noticed it seems to have the wider wheels fitted?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Looks very expensive for what it is... The wood appears to be v uneven and has been PAINTED - perhaps to hide mounds of filler ? There may be lots of trouble ahead.... The front underside appears to show paint crudely applied OVER rusty surfaces - have to wonder why? The other picture just shows RUST - except where the leaking gearbox tailshaft has handily applied good layers of anti-rust oil...... One wheel (rear nearside) doesn't look 'wide' - but the other 3 very well could be. And none of the doors appear to close properly...... Might be a decent 'project' gamble at £1000. I certainly wouldn't pay more !
Last edited by bmcecosse on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Thanks to all, I'm giving it a miss. After the underside pics I have decided not to proceed.

Cheers
Al
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Wise move I think.... :wink:
ImageImage
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

I think that I would like to see an MOT fail sheet, overpriced at that price, but do-able if you have the time and facilities