Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
whyperion
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Dynamo Repair Rebuild Identification

Post by whyperion »

Under mechanical as either the spare out of the pile has a problem or I am not fitting it correctly,

The Lucas dynamo appears to have a too large cooling fan on it, fouling the adjuster bar in all but one angle (that seems incorrect for fitting to the 1098 engine). And naturally the bolts that held the previous dynamo in place wont go through the holes (threaded) that the replacement dynamo has.

So anyone got an easy method of swapping the fan/pulley over (for some reason I have one Dynamo that has no fan , either I used it elsewhere years ago or are they strictly necessary.

One would consider swapping front plate as a whole, but trying to unscrew the long screws from the rear plate without chewing the heads is one thing I have never quite made with the improvised kneel on the dynamo and rotate screwdriver (maybe I need a good impact driver ).

The fault with the original dynamo , is though it was a relatively new unit, the whole car been untouched in concrete garage and I think minor condensation rust all over the metal work and it seems both front and rear bearings are screaming and not concentric.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Dynamo Repair Rebuild Identification

Post by philthehill »

Have you got the slotted adjustment bar the right way round?
The slot should fit over the adjustment pillar. The hole end of the bar should be bolted to the dynamo flange / end plate
Some adjustment bars had a corner cut off the dynamo adjustment bar to accommodate the fan.
Some fans also had the corners cut off the fan blades to clear the adjustment bar as shown in the link below.
Just drill the holes in the dynamo flange / end plates to accommodate the bolts - it is not necessary to have threaded holes.
If you have a set of mole grips use them to undo the long screws whilst holding the dynamo in the vice.
The fan is most important in keeping the dynamo cool and should be fitted at all times.
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-mo ... 90f10.html

whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

thanks , as ever dynamo and vice are 151 miles apart !

I must have some more spare ones somewhere....
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I have two - both working order - and I can't seem to give them away! I've never come across a dynamo with threaded top mount holes - are you sure you don't have a bigger dynamo there than is intended for a minor? Or are the holes just 'marked' like a thread from use of perhaps long threaded screws (rather than bolts) previously?
ImageImage
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

I'll PM you and sort out a mutually agreeable price, cheers.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

PM replied.
ImageImage