Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rear suspension

Post by Propshaft »

Hi. I am just starting the rebuild of my van rear suspension , when I stripped it down it didn't have the spring retaining brackets . I have since purchased two for each side along with the rubber pads I take it that these pads fit to the springs in which case mine are going to have to be stretched quite a bit to go over the springs , is this normal.?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Rear suspension

Post by bmcecosse »

Are these the pads and brackets where the U bolts connect the spring to the axle casing? Or do you mean the little clamps that secure the spring leaves together?
ImageImage
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

They fit above and below the leaf springs ie. The springs are sandwiched between them
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Sorry didn't answer your question fully they are not the little clamps that clamp the leaves together
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

See:-
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-mo ... 7d6f9.html
The pads (item No :21 in the listing above Pt No: ACA5138) should fit easily over the spring.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I don't understand how the spring was held on the axle if there were no brackets for the U bolts.......was it just relying on the damper bracket. The pads go above and below the spring with brackets above and below. Make sure the bump stops are good - or fit new ones.
ImageImage
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

I thought that the rubber pads should fit easily over the springs but these will not fit over them is there two widths of springs ,these are off my van . Yes I am fitting new bump sops
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't see any different ones offered for LCVs.
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am not aware that there are two widths of spring fitted to a Minor whether it be a car / traveller or commercial variant.
There are differences in the thickness of the leaves and the number of leaves fitted.
I have just tried new spring pads both rubber and neoprene (supplied by ESM) on a Minor spring and they fit easily.
The measurement between the side walls of the rubber spring pad is 38.7mm.
The measurement between the side walls of the neoprene spring pad is 38.5mm.
There is only one spring pad listed within the usual Minor parts suppliers spares lists.
It may seem like a stupid question but are you trying to fit the rubber spring pad over the locating plate.
The rubber spring plate should fit inside the axle locating plate as per the diagram in the link I posted above.
The locating plate raised central ring fits inside the hole in the axle bracket.
The underside of the spring is the same except that the locating plate raised ring fits inside the hole in the damper mounting bracket.

Phil

Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Just been down to my garage yes mine measure about 38 mm there is a plate top and bottom of the springs and this plate measure about 43 mm . This is obviously the problem.To answer bmceccose there were no plate and yes it was fastened directly to the telescopic damper arm . I have never driven this vehicle I don't think it has been on the road for the last 25 years still waiting for the dvla to come back to me with some history. At present I am half way through a body off restauration so may well be coming back to the forum with more queries
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The commercials do not have these rubber gaskets. Instead they have a thick metal plate top and bottom, the plate is about 3/8 th thick, with a bossed hole in the middle.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well mystery solved.
I am glad someone is on the ball.
Did the top plate have a boss that fitted into the hole in the bottom of the axle bracket.
The bottom plates with the damper mounting I had were just flat plates with no boss only a large hole in its centre as if to fit the axle locating plate and rubber pad.
I bought the bottom plates with the idea of fitting tele dampers at some stage.
Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Both top and bottom plates are the same. With a hole in the centre with a raised boss around it on one side, the other side is flat. This raised boss on the top plate locates into the axle bracket. The boss on the bottom plate locates into a hole in another thick plate that the U bolts go through, this particular plate has a bar welded to it to secure the bottom fixing of the telescopic suspension unit.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
Thank you for the explanation.
I have just been looking at a parts illustration of the Pickup suspension (link below) and it clearly shows a rubber pad and spring locating plate fitted in conjunction with the 8 leaf spring (items 18 & 19).
The plates I had were similar to item No: 22 which has a large hole at its centre but no boss and were similar to the ones currently sold by ESM see link below.
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pop ... cb2c97e8e0
Was this configuration latterly dropped in favour of just having the two plates with the spring pads & spring locating plates deleted?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mor ... ajaxhist=0

Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Thanks for the info it looks like mine is as it should be . Just need to tidy up the axle to spring bracket .
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hmmm - first you say there is no plate, then there IS a plate 3/8" thick......It's not easy diagnosing at a distance - pictures would always help us....
ImageImage
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Very sorry for not giving a detailed enough description
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Hope this helps explain.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good diagram - so -do any of the normal suppliers provide any of these special LCV parts ?
ImageImage
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Great diagram I don't know we're you get them from thanks a lot