Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

50 mph

Post by millerman »

Interesting link from a Pistonheads Forum - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 603240&i=0
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: 50 mph

Post by bmcecosse »

Only fair I think to go at a speed that doesn't inconvenience the HGVs.. But if they are charging along at well above their 60mph limit - well - I won't speed up to get out of their way. More worrying though are the HGVs that sit right up my ar$e when I am doing 50/60 mph on A roads where they are restricted to 40 MPH in Scotland (except A9) whereas I believe it is 50 mph in England - and the A9.
ImageImage
Squeezebox
Minor Friendly

Post by Squeezebox »

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't actually know what the National Speed Limits are for their vehicle. At a branch quiz night a few years ago most people thought that the UK speed limit for a car on a single carriageway road under the national speed limit was 50, not the 60 that it is. I see this on a bit of this class of road near where we live. It's bracketed by 40mph limits and you wouldn't beieve how many people just carry on at 40 through it. I've overtaken people and had lights flashed at me and horns sounded for overtaking them without exeeding the 60!

As far as motorways are concerned, I think people tend to be more understanding of cars like Morris Minors driving below 70, it's the cars that can quite happily cruise all day at 70 and are being driven significantly slower that annoy.

Mike
Mike Gott. 1968 4-door saloon, Ariel and Velocette motorcycles - and a 5 ton Ruston and Hornsby narrow gauge railway loco........
Higgy
Minor Friendly

Post by Higgy »

I normally travel around at 80mph in the Moggie (or so my speedo tells me) rofl.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

I think some years ago someone took an Austin seven on a motorway and was killed by a sleepy juggernaut driver. Probably best to keep up with truck speeds, and stay off motorways if you can't.