Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rreems
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Fuel leak

Post by rreems »

Help! Is there anyone there? I've just been to the MMOC rally at caton hall Derbyshire, just filled up and been staying in a cottage 30 miles from Catton hall and just noticed a leak coming from the tube that goes into the tank! I live in Ipswich and am due to drive home in the moggy tomorrow morning! Is there a product out there that I can use to put round the pipe as a temporary fix to get me home?
Thanks Richard
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel leak

Post by RobThomas »

Top rubber pipe or bottom metal pipe?

Top one you can get a piece of rubber water pipe from a scrapyard. Bottom metal pipe you can possible cut the steel (or copper) pipe and slip a piece of rubber fuel hose over it and add 2 jubilee clips.

Failing that, get AA/RAC membership with home recovery service. Might end up a cheaper option in the long run.

Top pipe 45mm x 6 inches

Bottom one is maybe most likely 8mm (could be 6mm?)
Cardiff, UK
rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply, stuck in the middle of nowhere! Fortunately there's a local garage 100 yrs away!
Richard
rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Hi Rob, it's the pipe that comes out of the tank, there's a small fracture in the pipe about 4-5 inches from the nut that goes into the tank I have a full tank of petrol, would I have to drain the tank or, please excuse my ignorance, if I cut the pipe will I just loose the fuel in the pipe or will fuel from the tank pour out?
Thanks
Richard
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

A get you home fix, get a short piece of rubber hose same diameter if poss slit it length ways and place over the fracture with a jubbly clip. Make sure the slit is away from the fracture and the clip screw as well.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Obviously (I think anyway) if you cut the pipe - the fuel is going to rush out. The rubber hose/ slit idea may work - but you are taking quite a risk. Best will be to pump or siphon all the fuel out, and either fit a new pipe - or as a temporary fix - (after draining) cut the pipe at the crack and join with a length of flexi fuel pipe to get you home - then fit the new pipe. I strongly suggest running it with a known fuel leak is folly in the extreme.....
ImageImage
rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Thanks guys! I actually found a garage in Matlock who cut the pipe and put in a length of petrol hose for £10! Bargain
He was thrilled to see an old Moggy and he did the Job straight away, well done that man! So I can recommend Mckenzies Garage in Matlock excellent service!
Richard