Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Early Vs Late hood frames

Post by RobThomas »

Can someone enlighten me as to the differences between these frames? I have a new frame that came with a parts car that may or may not be MM. Can a later one be adapted to fit our Lowlight or are there some fundamental differences in the construction?
Thanks
Rob
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: Early Vs Late hood frames

Post by mike.perry »

The number of hood sticks varied and the Series MM/II had a tiny rear winow. Series MM/II hoods were canvas.
See "Original Morris Minor"
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks, Mike.

She who must be obeyed wants a coloured hood and side windows so there are options there but I wanted to be sure that the hood I ordered would fit this frame. It came from a 1956 car but I can't for the life of me remember if it was a splittie.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Right, this hood frame looks to be a split-screen one by virtue of the kinked front rail. It also has just 3 hood arches plus the front rail rather than the 4 arches shown on a few website pages. I'm now assuming that this makes it an early splittie frame.
I also dragged out the ash frames for the front and back of the hood. Both were wrapped in clingfilm but it looks like they've lost a bit of shape, unless they are a poor fit from the supplier? The front one is lifted at both ends by about 12mm at minimum and the rear one needs quite a bit shaved off in a couple of places. Has anyone else fitted these wooden bits? How did you find them?

Thanks

Rob
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

FWIW, I steamed the wooden sections in-situ using a small household steam cleaning device and they now fir perfectly. I've reused the original 3-hoop Lowlight frame so have a spare 3-hoop new ESM(?) frame if anyone needs one.

Any recommendations for a hood supplier for the 3-hoop vinyl roof? I assume there is a difference in the shape of the material to suit the extra hoop? Have been looking at Don Hoods as a possible candidate.
Cardiff, UK
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

I have just had my new hood fitted here south of Maidstone in Kent. This was made by Don Hoods. I am delighted with the exercise.
I had all bits, new hood, new hood bag and sidescreens re-covered. One advantage with Don is that they have the patterns for the MM. The fitter is a local chap in business on his own, trained initially at a Maidstone Ferrari dealer. He had not fitted an MM before but had done a couple of later Moggies.
The exercise was not cheap but you get what you pay for and it has all worked very well. The new hood was tested a couple of weekends ago while visiting the West Sussex MMOC meeting at the Bluebell Railway. All was good.
Colin
Beatroot52
Minor Friendly

Post by Beatroot52 »

Colin do you have any pics?
Thanks
Dan
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Ordered a Don Hood today but there is a 6 week waiting list. Not having the sidescreens redone since I'm making stainless removable ones. :D
Cardiff, UK
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

Rob, only 6 weeks??? Stay on their tales. Worth the wait though.
Dan, have a few fitting pictures, will take some more and post.
Colin
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Well, they said it was the busiest time of year with cars coming out of hiding and owners suddenly getting wet on rainy days. Makes sense, I guess. In the meantime I've rebuilt the original hood frame and painted it gold (Should it be black or cream for 1949?) and replaced the rubber side buffers on the frame. The foremost of the hood hoops on the old frame is different from the new hood frame in that it is angled rearwards at the tips. I noticed also that the Lowlight hood frame is designed to fit to the metal ivot on the outside of the rear metal bracket whilst Convertible later cars have the hood inboard of the bracket. That perhaps explains why the new frame here is pre-sprung inwards and was hard to fit to the brackets.

Picked up so Rydal bar today to form some new steel frames for the Tourer/Lowlight sidescreens.
Cardiff, UK
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
This is the new hood from Don. Just a comment on the rear screens, they are not curved as you can see, were they this shape on early cars? They do fit under the frame so its not a problem, and they did come with the car and they have all the correct fittings, both on screen and body. They were recovered by Don as well.
Colin
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Nice pics, Colin. So, do the sidescreens slip between the 2 layers of the hood at the side? Ours didn't come with much fabric so I've never seen a Lowlight with the hood up properly.

The middle hood bow on mine curves rearwards whereas the new ESM hood has the bow curving straight down.

[frame]Image[/frame]

The stainless removable sidescreens nearly finished apart from fitting the 5/16 stainless locating dowels to the underside. Then the screens will sit at the same height as the door window frame. Strange that BMC never offered stainless frames for the back of the later Tourers.

[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

Rob, surely the middle hoop must fit with the ends pointing downwards, certainly mine does. Its arch won't be in line with the front and rear otherwise.
Colin
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I was surprised, too. Looking at other photos...CCF304 for example, some had the middle hoop pointing backwards whilst later cars had downwards ones. Our replacement ( now surplus) 3-hoop lowlight hood frame from ESM is much more like the later ones but I think they just adapted a generic design. I may be proved wrong so feel free to research it more. I'll have a look back through some books as well.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... py_(1).jpg
http://truck-uk.smugmug.com/ClassicCars ... -KZ9Vtmv/A
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I've just twigged what it is about. On the hood frame I've got on the car the 'pointy backwards' hood hoop lies parallel with all of the others when it is folded right back against the rear wooden bit. Sits very tidily. I imagine that 'pointy down' hood hoops sit a touch more messy when folded down.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Colin. I've just realised what you meant in one of your earlier questions about the shape of the sidescreens. Yours appear to be square instead of rounded on the top surface. I've never seen any like that before, only like the one shown here with "Morgan" written on it in error.

.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Quick question for you, Colin. Does the flap at the front of the hood go under or over the main hood skin? I'm trying to grasp how it all goes together.
It sort of makes sense to put the main hood section on first to curl the excess front material back under the wooden header rail and then add the flap at the front with the Hidem (sp?) banding holding it in position.

Any chance of some photos of the front corners from several angles? Also, anyone else who has photos, they'd be gratefully received!

Thanks

Rob
Cardiff, UK