Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
estepona1999
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

oil leaking into rear drum

Post by estepona1999 »

I have a 1958 traveller which is getting closer to finishing,but I have the car jacked up and there is a pool of oil under the drum,it won't be brake fluid as a lot of the pipes are off.Any ideas as to the culprit and also what I have to do to fix it.Is it a big job?Thanks Roger
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: oil leaking into rear drum

Post by bmcecosse »

Obviously - the hub seal has leaked - should have drained the final drive. So - new seal and new shoes ....... May as well do both sides. Then drain/refill the final drive with new oil.
ImageImage
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by dudload »

had the exact same problem on my traveller - removing halfshaft and fitting new oil seals and hub gaskets sorted it. would also check that the breather (if there is one on that dated car) is clear at the top of the diff and the level isn't too high
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by dudload »

and of course, as Roy says you'll need to replace both sets of shoes. mintex apparently are best
estepona1999
Minor Fan

Post by estepona1999 »

Thanks for the replies,is it a big job to replace the seal on both sides? I am replacing the shoes anyway.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

you may find that the drive shaft flange on your dosent have he later o ring type seal and relies on the paper gasket,(Not sure when they changed it) my 55 didn't have it and if you take a wheel off it relieves the pressure on the flange and can let oil past, (Even with the grub screws tight.) I got into the habit of only lifting the side that I was taking the wheel off so that the oil ran to the wheeled side.Tried every thing to cure it,liquid sealant etc .They knew about the problem. that's why there is a drain in the bottom of the back plate to let the oil out and not into the drum
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Seal is a very staight forward job - once you get the hub off. It should just pull off (maybe bolt the wheel on to get extra purchase) after undoing the nut - which of course is LH thread on the nearside. If you don't have a Workshop Manual - download it free via Google !
ImageImage
estepona1999
Minor Fan

Post by estepona1999 »

Thanks everyone,big help