Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
XWL61
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Classic car snobbery

Post by XWL61 »

Have been doing a good few miles around West Sussex and Hampshire this weekend in the Morris - lots of classic cars about- probably coming from and going to the Goodwood Revival.
I always wave to other cars I pass but why do owners of 'expensive' cars never wave back? Once you buy a posh car do you automatically become a snob and ignore lesser vehicles?

Andy
1955 Series 2 saloon XWL61
1957 Series 3 saloon
1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover
1953 Jowett Javelin PE Std.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Classic car snobbery

Post by jagnut66 »

I have encountered this on occasion too, though not specifically or only from 'posher' vehicles but noticeably from owners of pre-war / vintage cars.
I have come to think that some of them regard post war cars as 'unworthy', which is a shame as I am a great fan of all classics and have always been able to strike up a pleasant conversation with the owners of these cars when I meet them in person.
As always it is the few that manage to tar the rest with same brush.
It may also be that people in general have become less sociable and unfortunately I think social media sites must take some of the blame for this, especially amongst the younger generation, who seem to live 'online' these days.
A sign of the times and not all progress is good or for the better...................
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

There is also the fact that we own the moggys because we enjoy the thrill of driving a drivers car (the stupid grin factor) and most of us enjoy working on them, then there are the owners of expensive cars that only have them because of the value (investment). They won't dirty their hands and instead pay others to do the work.

New Bloke
Minor Friendly

Post by New Bloke »

My Daughter owns a Moggy (which she lets me restore for her) and I own a TR4A (is this a posher car?) In the olden days the TRs would all wave at each other but only at TRs. Heaven forbid you should wave at any other car.... That was in the eighties when there were loads more of these sorts of cars around and you made a choice in buying a sports car of a TR, a Healy, or (dare I say the name?) M.G. In fact quite a few TR owners didn't wave at TR7 as they were not "really a TR old boy". Times change and I find myself waving at and being waved at by any old banger that I see on the road. The Moggy isn't yet on the road, but when it is, I'll carry on waving at oldies and hope the carry on waving back.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I have a Morris 1000 van and a MG. If I am in my Morris or MG I wave at other Morris and MG owners some wave and do not. I was in the MG yesterday and someone in a E Type Jaguar waved at me and when I was in the Morris someone in a Rolls Royce waved at me.

beamand
Minor Friendly

Post by beamand »

Hi

I have a traveller and an Aston Martin and nobody ever waves when in the Aston but when In my Traveller loads of waves from many different make cars even from pedestrians and often people talk to me when parked, which makes it all an enjoyable expeience
AliceDurose
Minor Friendly

Post by AliceDurose »

I always take it quite personally when people don't wave back (as sad and pathetic as that sounds).
I enjoy the fleeting moment of smiling and acknowledgement. I just judge it as polite respect. I had one yesterday who wouldn't wave back, and that wasn't a posher car, think it's just down to each drivers attitude. Having said that I've had plenty of Merc and Jag drivers snub me when I'm pootling about. Naturally they get graced with some name or other.

I remember when I first got the Morris (unbelievably nearly a year ago now), my first time taking it on the road (my first ever time driving on a road may I add) a man who lives near and has the most beautiful Rolls Royce saw me out driving and gave me a frantic happy wave, I was so excited to wave back for the first time I did a bit of mad cornering (oops!).

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Why would you 'wave' at other old cars?? Mystifies me.... Is there a speed trap ahead :-?
ImageImage
XWL61
Minor Fan

Post by XWL61 »

bmcecosse wrote:Why would you 'wave' at other old cars?? Mystifies me.... Is there a speed trap ahead
Why do people wave at steam train drivers?? Mystifies me :D
1955 Series 2 saloon XWL61
1957 Series 3 saloon
1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover
1953 Jowett Javelin PE Std.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

I was in my old trial car once. It was a kitcar. Tatty and we'll used. Had a bloke come up to me talking to me about it and comparing it to his TVR like they were the same car. Same bloke gave me a Range Rover a year later. You can be nice and have money.

In my old knackered beetle always felt like the volkswagen owners club would wave all the time.

Wave to other landy owners. Not locally but while away. We all seem to have a special bond lol.

I normally wait for a wave 1st.
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Got a wave from someone in a brand new Ferrari actually! And just yesterday the driver of a brand new BMW took out his phone to take some pictures (please don't do this while driving BTW)

XWL61 - Maybe because of the Revival there were so many classics out in the streets that their drivers simply became tired of waving to every single car they saw?

jagnut - Haven't driven a pre-war car but maybe their owners are too busy driving to wave?
Gabriel
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

Most of the pre-war car drivers daren't let go of their steering wheels.
I'll see you on the otherside'!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Astra GTE drivers won't wave at a "normal" Astra mk11.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Don't know about 'posh' car drivers, but an amusing encounter a few years ago:

I had pulled to the side of the road (a remote country lane) in my '55 Minor to tweak the fuel mixture slightly and a host of ancient Austin 7s came by. The first driver stopped and asked if I was having any trouble. I explained I was just carrying out a slight adjustment and he relied "Oh, OK. Its just I don't trust these new-fangled cars" :o :o :o :D
AliceDurose
Minor Friendly

Post by AliceDurose »

A nice addition to my feelings and comments on this:

Today my partner Kev drove the Charity car on the East Midlands leg of the marathon from Derby to Leicester. We pulled in to the side of the road at one point and a gorgeous 20s/30s Rolls Royce Tourer passed by honking his horn very enthusiastically :)

daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

Nearly all bikers do a sideways nod at each other. But (usually) NOT riders of Harly's or younger people on 125s. Them seems to be the rules.
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

i ride a Harley,and don't wave or nod to any other riders..unless i know them!
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Coming home from the local car show last Sunday and exchanged waves with...a Lotus Cortina and an AC Cobra!!
Lovely people out for the day and having fun. :D

Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

Almost related to this topic, when I'm out in my flatdeck truck I get lots of waves from farmers, either on foot or in farm vehicles. I guess they used to have one as a farm truck years ago.

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

daveyl wrote:Nearly all bikers do a sideways nod at each other. But (usually) NOT riders of Harly's or younger people on 125s. Them seems to be the rules.
Harley owners generally acknowledge other Harley riders - and 125 riders have yet to learn to acknowledge other bike riders. With Harleys, the acknowledgement is often by foot rather than by hand, thus leading it to be missed by the un-informed!