Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ratrodmog
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Possible dizzy noise...or could be the water pump. Help

Post by ratrodmog »

It seems there is one thing after another at the moment but every problem fixed is one step closer to a healthy car I suppose.

There is a distinct noise that gets faster with the engine revs, almost sounds like a worn/dry bearing. I can hear it when I'm in the car so I guess it must be fairly loud. I'm thinking it's coming from the dizzy as it seems loudest towards that area but someone suggested it could be the water pump bearing? There is no loss of power and the car runs nicely through the rev range. There is play in the pulley on the front of the pump (holding the fan and giving it a gently wiggle it definitely moves) and there is the occasional squeak/squeal from it when the engine is running.
Is there any way of eliminating either of these from my investigation and I know this may not be enough to go on.
Thanks in advance
Bash's Speed Shop
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Possible dizzy noise...or could be the water pump. Help

Post by panky »

Take the fan belt off and run the engine for a short time. If the noise has gone then it's the water pump or dynamo/alternator, if it's still there look elsewhere :wink:
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Any play on the water pump needs fixing. Pump repair/replacement is cheaper than repairing/replacing the radiator as well. Particularly if it has a fan blade attached!!

Last radiator I repaired, from fan damage, was an International tractor with a neat ring of damaged tubes. He knew the pump was in trouble, but waited too long....

RAB
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

A home made stethoscope might help