Smart Phones at the wheel still today!!!

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Smart Phones at the wheel still today!!!

Post by LobbyLudd »

I just need to get this off my chest !!! Why do some drivers still think it is perfectly OK for them to casually /phone/ipod/text on their smart phones when driving.

Just seen some drivers today when out driving still using their phone whilst driving. One negotiating a roundabout !
Its no good even trying to catch their eye to make eye contact as they seem to be in a world of their own :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just after the conviction of the lorry driver given a token sentence 10 years for killing a Mother and 3 children and seriously injuring occupants of the other cars involved. Also will he be treated to the usual parole consideration ???
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Re: Smart Phones at the wheel still today!!!

Post by POMMReg »

LobbyLudd wrote:I just need to get this off my chest !!! Why do some drivers still think it is perfectly OK for them to casually /phone/ipod/text on their smart phones when driving.

Just seen some drivers today when out driving still using their phone whilst driving. One negotiating a roundabout !
Its no good even trying to catch their eye to make eye contact as they seem to be in a world of their own :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just after the conviction of the lorry driver given a token sentence 10 years for killing a Mother and 3 children and seriously injuring occupants of the other cars involved. Also will he be treated to the usual parole consideration ???
I'd ban "Hands Free" too!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Heartily agree, like drink drivers they'll claim to be unlucky if they're caught. Immediate bans for both are right and proper.
Good home offered for custom splittie
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

There is one way to stop it, overnight--------

beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Whats that.........Snipers?

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I pulled up at lights next to a BMW with the guy on a phone, I sat there with hooters a blazing.
Shortly after he looked across and shouted, I'm on the bl**dy phone, I shouted back, that's why I'm doing it.
Don't suppose it made any difference, but made me feel better!

Alan
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

A Beemer driver on the phone while driving? How unlikely...
Good home offered for custom splittie
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I reckon Audi drivers are the worst these days...always seems to be one on your back bumper and generally on the phone.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I agree phones are so distracting and i can never understand when you see spmeone drive an expensive new car with a top of the range phone and they won't pay for a hands free kit.

Scott
Minor Addict

Post by Scott »

Is it legal in the UK? It's only OK to use hands free in Australia but there's some who want that banned too.
I still see people using them everyday though.
Scott

[url=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/523/bo16vy.jpg]1948 Series MM[/url]
[url=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2484/dcp001046qp.jpg]1962 1000[/url]
[url=http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9625/19705bp.jpg]1970 1000[/url]
[url=http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7259/nullabor25ns.jpg]1959 Van[/url]

[url=http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php]Aussie Forum[/url]
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I am in the States at the moment and it seems a lot of drivers are using phones at the wheel, and some use laptops/tablet's on the passenger seat.
Doesn't seem to be illegal!

Alan
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Scott wrote:Is it legal in the UK? It's only OK to use hands free in Australia but there's some who want that banned too.
I still see people using them everyday though.
No it is not legal in the UK to use a hand held phone/communicating device whilst driving.

Present standard fine 3 penalty points and £100 fine. for car drivers

This is planned to double starting within the first part of 2017 to 6 penalty points and £200 fine. for car drivers
Plus it is said that newly qualified drivers in most cases will have to re-take their driving test.
Also 'experienced' drivers who offend twice will in most cases have to appear in court with the possibility of a 6 month driving ban and up to £1000 fine.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Not enough...they need their gonads removing. It's stupid.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I suppose that would stop any would be offspring from inheriting the ''I'll phone whilst driving'' gene. :D
Motorcyclists seem well behaved when it comes to using there mobiles, I've not seen one!

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

The problem is rife and the longer it is allowed to happen it will become the norm.
I can't get my head round how successive governments seem to think that while year on year with more cars on the roads it's ok to cut the number of traffic police. :-?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

I have to say I'm rather surprised that satnav is deemed perfectly OK .....to my mind you are effectively watching TV whilst driving !
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Lurch wrote:I have to say I'm rather surprised that satnav is deemed perfectly OK .....to my mind you are effectively watching TV whilst driving !
And the very odd idiots that stick a large satnav right in the line of a drivers vision never cease to amaze. If you had a small crack above a certain size (smaller and less solid than a satnav) in your windscreen in this same 'A vision zone' as it is referred to, it is an MOT failure . I always think of the sobering thoght that placing a satnav in this area could easily mask out a child ahead !!

Yes the law does not sometimes make much sense :roll:

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

If you took a car in for an MOT with a sat nav stuck anywhere within the drivers field of vision it would fail, but that is irrelevant as they are removed and refitted after the test.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

PSL184 wrote:If you took a car in for an MOT with a sat nav stuck anywhere within the drivers field of vision it would fail, but that is irrelevant as they are removed and refitted after the test.
Yes agreed PSL - It was just that felt part relevence to use this comparison to highlight the point of the danger obscuring the drivers vision with any 'solid' object. Last week for instance a delivery van driver eating his lunch of pizza slices whilst driving towards me . The large area of pizza box lid was on the dash board open and flipped up against the windscreen right in front of his vision !!
Some say it is the norm now and as a result is becoming more acceptable to do all these things whilst driving due to the pressure our society today and the shortage of time . The van drivers will probably say they all have an expected quota of drops and strict time slot window to maintain and meet their employers instructions :cry:

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Sat nav, pizza boxes...Luxury..i remember being in a MK2 cortine 1600E with so much added fur it left a very snall view and once the AA map was unfolded the driver had to peer over it, and you try telling the kids of taday that....ok i was going for a Monty Python moment :roll: