Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kittyhawk
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Brakes

Post by Kittyhawk »

I had excessive brake pedal travel and sponginess. I have adjusted all the brakes and bled the front. Now the pedal seems to go down a long way on first application, but then subsequently it feels firm and braking seems quite effective. Does it just need more bleeding, or is there likely to be another problem?

1968 Traveller
Almond Green
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Re: Brakes

Post by Trickydicky »

Readadjust the brakes, from your description pumping the pedal is bringing the shoes up to the drums. Adjusting them again should solve the problem.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

If the pedal is firm on second application then it is probably adjustment. Did you slacken off the handbrake before adjusting the rears? Try adjusting all the drums so they are stuck solid and then see if the excess pedal travel disappears?

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Checking if the problem 'apparently' disappears if the hand brake is applied while testing may sort out if it is the fronts or rears which are in need of adjusment. Sponginess which slowly responds to pumping the pedal usually indicates air in the system.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

if you have air in the system,you can pump forever and the pedal will always feel soft,(Air and be compressed fluid can't),if on pumping,. the pedal comes up and is firm then the problem IS adjustment.To identify which area ,side or front,/rear is at fault(Assuming you will not have the proper hose clamps) place 50ps between mole grip type tool,to spread the load and clamp the hoses one at a time.One each side at front and one at rear, Try the brake after each clamping and it will show which wheel needs adjustment at the front or that the rears need attention. However be aware that after a day or two standing the brakes on minors will always need a couple of pumps to get the shoes out to the drums,the system is designed to hold slight pressure to hold them there and it slowly drops when left standing. If after proper adjustment you still have the same problem. Then yes bleed again,but I suspect that will have no effect. I have had a couple of problems over the years where the snail cams on the adjusters were worn and although adjusted properly would le.t the adjustment slip after a couple of hard brake applications,just something else to look at maybe . If you have braided hoses don't clamp them obviously would cause damage.. good luck