Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chazbee
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine mount replacement

Post by Chazbee »

I've just had Maurice to the MOT station and he passed with flying colours however the mechanic suggested that the engine mount rubbers were tired. What's the best method for replacement? Having read a few threads on here regarding hardness of the rubber it appears that the Bull Motif part is considered the best - does anyone have any thoughts on this?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Engine mount replacement

Post by philthehill »

Try club spares for some original NOS items before trying anywhere else.

edd_barker
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by edd_barker »

If not ESM are the softest I have found. My BM ones fitted are too hard. Purchased 8months ago maybe.

NOS would be great but I don't think club spares have any, I did ask Brian at the time.

Edd

PS have a good look first, tired may not be knackered! They will be lovely and soft now I wager
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

Chaz , I got caught on this .... I purchased new engine mounts locally in NZ online and specifically asked the seller about the hardness issues. I had them installed reluctantly anyway , hoping they would be OK. I should have gone with everyone's experience here and tried to find NOS ones (difficult) because immediately on startup , the vibration was blatantly apparent. I had to get the old ones put back rather than pay dental bills. :( ..... My old ones were looking "tired" but as the mechanic said " doesn't mean knackered".
The seller took the expected "don't know a thing about it" stance .... and an associated bad attitude.
Try and find NOS if you can wait...
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I bought some from club spares a while back but can't comment on the softness or other as not used them yet. Going by the box they came in, I don't think they were original. Can't think how to tell the rubber quality other than trying the mountings. I suppose there is some test available but even then it would be too late if you had bought some.

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

edd_barker wrote:If not ESM are the softest I have found. My BM ones fitted are too hard. Purchased 8months ago maybe.

NOS would be great but I don't think club spares have any, I did ask Brian at the time.

Edd

PS have a good look first, tired may not be knackered! They will be lovely and soft now I wager
Edd,
I found quite the opposite.
The mounts from ESM are like Blackpool Rock and far too hard-I measured them at 65° shore. The Bull Motif ones are softer but I gave them to my mate. As far as I recall they were 50 ... 55° shore. Try and get the NOS first.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

The Internet contains hints on how to soften rubber - I havea vague Memory that perhaps brake fluid has such an effect ?

but has anybody tried These methods?
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As above there are plenty of recipes on the web to soften rubber and here is one that does not appear to be to dangerous or onerous:

http://www.wikihow.com/Soften-Rubber

Do not be tempted to drink the rubbing alcohol or you may get softened :D

Personally I would not use brake fluid for as any residual brake fluid can leach and spoil the paintwork.

edd_barker
Minor Fan

Post by edd_barker »

Interesting! I bought and fitted some ESM ones. They are too hard. I then received a call from ESM, saying sorry, we have sent you the wrong ones, which are the same as the others supply, let us send you some replacements which we have had specially made. These latest ones feel noticeably softer, but i have not had a chance to fit them yet to test them properly. If anyone would like to test their hardness before I do fit them, be my guest.

Edd
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I bought and fitted a pair from Charles Ware back in January and so far all seems ok with them but if things change then I shall update accordingly.
Chazbee
Minor Friendly

Post by Chazbee »

Wow - wot a can of worms I opened - I'll do my own inspection of the ones currently fitted before buying new ones because it may well be the case that although they look "tired" to quote the mechanic, they're OK - there are no apparent symptoms of distress e.g. knocking or movement when changing gear etc. Everyone has been keen to discuss the quality of the available mounts but no one has offered the best modus operandi for changing them - is it best to remove the radiator,front panel,etc or can it be done with everything left in place and a jack under the sump to lift? Thanks for all the reply,s so far!
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Yes, change them with a jack under the sump to support the engine, with a piece of wood between the jack and the sump.

Removing the rad will give you more room to get at them, but it should be possible with it all in situ, just a little more fiddly, especially the nut holding the mount to the towers.

When supporting the engine watch the heater tap on the back of the head, and where the fan is going. One good reason to remove the rad is not to poke anything through it, making more work and expense.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The torque reaction of the engine is key. If the engine moves too much it can break the exhaust pipe to manifold joint, which is of a very poor design on these cars. To test you can open the bonnet and repeatedly blip the throttle to judge the engine movement. But if the top engine steady bar is in place the condition of the engine mounts is not so important provided they are still in one piece. The Morris Oxford for instance doesn't have an engine steady but relies solely on the engine mounts, but on those cars the exhaust to manifold connection is by a much more substantial 3 bolt face-to-face joint.
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

I and a MM owning mate have last week had his engine out for inspection and change of crank shaft seals, and also replaced the engine mounts. We got these from ESM. The thread on one side was strange, to start the nut wouldn't go on but with some persuasion it did. Further down the thread it rotated nicely. But the rubber appeared to be rather soft, no complaint, and we had to clamp across the mounting to stop the rubber being wrenched around as this nut was fitted. The deflection was say 20-30 degrees or so. The clamp stopped this.
Having fitted the new mounts the car drives well with no sign of engine shake or other problems.
Interesting
Colin