Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Which hex sockets for Minoring?

Post by Oldmogman »

Are there any professional/expert mechanics who could advise on the best choice of hex socket for Minoring?

I want to get a set of hex/six-point sockets because they're less likely to round off worn or rusty bolt heads, especially when applying more force.

They're not easy to come by these days but I found a 3/8-in drive set of 13 sockets by Britool (1/4"" - 5/16"" - 11/32"" - 3/8"" -7/16"" - 1/2"" - 9/16"" - 5/8"" - 11/16"" - 3/4"" - 13/16"" - 7/8"" - 1''), and a 1/2-in drive set of 10 sockets by Sealey (3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4", 13/16", 7/8", 15/16").

I think I'm right in saying that Britool is of better quality than Sealey but I wonder which would be best for working on my Morris?

The 3/8 drive is better for working in tight spaces but the 1/2 drive can take more force.

The Britool set has a greater range of sizes but are all these found on the Morris?

I have 3/8 and 1/2 drive socket sets, and tend to use the 3/8 for general duties and the 1/2 for heavier stuff like suspension.

Thanks all!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Which hex sockets for Minoring?

Post by palacebear »

I'll let someone with more experience than me comment on the best make/brand of sockets etc.
In case you aren't aware, you'll probably need a selection of tools with Whitworth sizes as well as A/F ones. At the top of the 'Mechanical' forum, there is a thread (now locked) labelled 'Spanner Sizes'. It includes a list of many 'non-standard' fixings found on a Minor.
My experience is limited as my Minor ownership has so far been trouble-free (touching wood) but I found even a simple task such as coil removal was a pain as neither A/F or metric tools fitted the nuts securing the (screw-on) low tension leads!
1956 4-door called Max
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Britool sockets (both 1/2" & 3/8" drive) in my opinion are the best. The vintage ones are even better. It is not necessary to have six sided ones.
If you have to put that much force on a 6 sided socket and 3/8" drive they will most likely break.
Only use 3/8" drive if you know that it is going to come undone. Tightening with a 3/8" drive should not pose any problems.

Here is a nice Britool A/F Whit set for sale on 'e' bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITOOL-ENGLA ... SwDiBZE0KU

I have a very similar set with a few additional items.
I use a Britool 1/2" drive torque wrench when required - though what ever you purchase make sure that it has a calibration certificate.

Vintage Britool spanners are also very good especially the 6J series and though vintage can be found as NOS or very good condition.

I have over the years built up my Britool socket and spanner collection and they is still being added to.

I use 1/2", 3/8" & 1/4" drive sockets dependent on the use application.

The sizes quoted above are used on the Minor.

Gordon, Bedford & Gedore sockets are also good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gedore-Vintag ... Sww5hZHBN8

Some times I have to buy a socket for a particular application but I always try to purchase the best quality I can if not Britool.

Palacebear
You will find also BA nuts and bolts on a Minor and Britool make BA sockets and spanners also.

A good set of BA spanners both ring and open ended is a must with a Minor.

Phil

martin418
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by martin418 »

i like the term '' minoring '' :D
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

philthehill wrote:
Palacebear
You will find also BA nuts and bolts on a Minor and Britool make BA sockets and spanners also.

A good set of BA spanners both ring and open ended is a must with a Minor.

Phil
Thanks Phil. I knew there was something other than Whit but I was having a 'blank' moment. Couldn't remember BA for the life of me! :o
1956 4-door called Max