Sidevalve valve collets and guides

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Sidevalve valve collets and guides

Post by RobThomas »

If anyone breaks up a sidevalve, could they save the collets (little wedge thingies at the top of the valves) for me? I found one set from one of the rebuilt bare engines and they had been put, dry, into a 35mm camera film container and are now all rusty. Bu663r!

Also, if anyone gets the chance, could they measure the OD of the valve guides? I'm guessing that they might be about 0.5 inch / 12.7mm?

Thanks.

Rob
Cardiff, UK
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Sidevalve valve collets and guides

Post by BLOWNMM »

Measured new MM guides: 0-1" mike 0.4735" 0-25 digital mike 12.025 mm.
Bob
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks, Bob.
Cardiff, UK
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Rob
When I looked at the paper I had written the sizes on I did a conversion. The sizes did not equate. The 12.025 mm. is correct both on the mechanical digital readout and the vernier scale. Checked the size again with the 0-1' mike and is definately 0.4374" which a close conversion. Looks like I need to go to spec savers or get a vernier 0-1".
Bob
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

That size of 12mm plus-a-bit seems to be quite a common one. VW/Audi use them quite a lot and they have the same size ID at 7mm and length at 38mm. Wasn't sure if you'd noticed that, Bob. Nice easy source of Mn Bronze/Colisbro guides already carved for seals for the SV engine?

https://mam.rheinmetall-automotive.com/ ... 5a0c8a082c [Big file but lots of detailed valve info]
Cardiff, UK
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

Rob
Dunk the rusty ones in phosphoric acid overnight. The acid is used in animal milking parlors so try a friendly farmer. The acid will remove the rusty metal and then phosphate the now clean metal underneath.
Colin
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Tried that, Colin. They're deeply pitted and although the rust got removed, they look awful. There ought to be a few dead engines about, even Morris 8 ones and Tank engines. Not an urgent one so I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. :D
Cardiff, UK
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

Rob
I had a mates MM engine out recently and we needed some of the inner bolts, big ends etc and we got this name from ESM, IAN HARRIS MORRIS SPARES LTD. he may well be able to help.
Phone 01462 659969
e-mail ianhms@outlook.com
Colin
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks, Colin. I'll give Ian Harris a try for a few other bits. Bob has kindly sent me a set from Aus so I hope I'm alright to finish the Altas. :D
Cardiff, UK