Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

948 minor vs 948 Healy sprite engine

Post by olderisbetter »

My 58 traveller 948cc engine needs work so i have got a spare engine to put in while i do work as not to take it off the road, The spare is from a 948 healey sprite is there anything obvious that will block me doing this easy? I intend to rebuild the old 948 with a later head like the 202 and 1098 cam to get a bit more ooomph.

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 948 minor vs 948 Healy sprite engine

Post by philthehill »

The engine is physically exactly the same so there should be no difficulty in fitting the engine.
The obvious difference is the hole for the fuel pump.
As regards fitting the 1098cc camshaft - you will experience very little improvement for the work involved as the timings for the 1098cc camshaft are virtually the same as those of the 948cc Sprite/Minor camshaft timings.
If you can find one use a 2A948 from the 997cc Cooper or a camshaft with the same or similar timings - I would consider the 2A948 camshaft to be one of the best road camshaft for a sub 1000cc 'A' Series. I had one in my 998cc (948cc) and it went very well.
I would recommend that you have white metal bearings fitted to the 948cc camshaft bearing housings as once you start upgrading the valve train there is the increased possibility of the camshaft picking up in the plain block metal bearings.
There is a variant of the 948cc Sprite engine (9CG block) that did have white metal bearings fitted for the camshaft and you may be lucky if your engine number starts as such.
Obtain CCC book Tuning BMC Sports Cars by Mike Garton as it has all the details required.

MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MikeNash »

Following on from Phil's advice, I strongly urge you to look at http://www.1978mgmidget.com/manuals_and_booklets.html
Regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Thanks Phil as ever usefull advice from experience, I think the 2A948 cam might be a big price but i am sure i will find a copy type one and both the sprite and morris engines are goldseal units so the engine numbers do not tell me much, Thanks MikeNash very usefull links there I am just starting to play with these engines and i have about 6 in the garage now so i had better make something happen. :roll:

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

For what it's worth, I fitted white metal bearings to my 948 block when it was rebuilt with a non-standard cam, and the align boring and bearing fitment cost around £100. As per Phil's comment I wouldn't bother with the 1098 cam - I think the only difference is a longer exhaust duration 252 vs 230 degrees). My modified 948 runs an AC Dodd RT cam which is excellent - plenty of low down torque which you need in a 948. Don't be tempted by people telling you to fit an MG Metro cam in that engine - it's great in the larger A-Series, but is too much for the 948 and loses bottom end torque without much improvement up top.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Thanks Liammonty, That is what i am after low down power not something i have to wind up to get moving, At the end of the day i want to be able to go up hills without crawling.