Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
spike_esq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

List of Keys numbers / Chassis or Reg

Post by spike_esq »

Please can you help. I'm trying to find the drivers door key number for my 1970 Pick Up. To be honest without much luck so far and wondered if at the time of manufacture a list or record was kept of the key number allocated for the ignition and drivers door. And can we get access to such a list.
If anyone is aware of this or any other way of finding the drivers door key number I would be very grateful. Look forward to some feedback. Many, many thanks. Regards.....spike
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Re: List of Keys numbers / Chassis or Reg

Post by LouiseM »

Some factory records are held at Gaydon and original key numbers would also be available on a Heritage Certificate but going from Ray Newell's book (Original Morris Minor) the factory records for commercials built after 1964 aren't held. It might have to be a case of getting a new lock barrel & keys.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
spike_esq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by spike_esq »

Hi Louise, Many thanks for the reply and the very interesting information. Looks like you outlined my necessary course of action. So I'll see what I can find amongst the membership. If any members do have a 4 door drivers side door handle with good condition lock and key then I may well be very interested. Obviously the condition of the handle itself is not important in this case so please take a look and see if you have anything remotely suitable stashed away in the lock up. Many thanks. Regards....spike
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Most locks are now so badly worn that just about ANY key fits...... Or - at an autojumble where Traders sometimes have a board of keys, they will let you try the keys in your lock till you get one that works.
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

spike_esq wrote:Please can you help. I'm trying to find the drivers door key number for my 1970 Pick Up. To be honest without much luck so far and wondered if at the time of manufacture a list or record was kept of the key number allocated for the ignition and drivers door. And can we get access to such a list.
If anyone is aware of this or any other way of finding the drivers door key number I would be very grateful. Look forward to some feedback. Many, many thanks. Regards.....spike
I have recorded WB key numbers from a few 1970 LCVs, do you have an approx build date for your pickup?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
OHP 900
Minor Friendly

Post by OHP 900 »

If you have a saloon or convertible then you can disassemble the boot handle to find out the original key code provided it hasn't been changed. This can also be done with the rear handles on travellers and vans I think. When I bought my daily driver around about 2 years ago the key supplied was a cheap locker key that just so happened to fit the ignition barrel! It wouldn't lock the doors or boot though and did look rubbish. The boot handle was how I found out the original WB FS code. I think you can also find the ignition key code by disassembling the ignition barrel. This would be the same code as the drivers door provided again it hasn't been changed.

POMMreg, you haven't got any idea what the FS key code would be for a September '68 4 door would you?
'49 saloon - LMM 982
‘52 4 door saloon - KWP 463
'53 van - OHP 900
‘54 Traveller - LVJ 184
'56 4 door saloon - 656 BPK
Million #281 - 1620 MY
'63 2 door saloon - KGH 680A (was 936 STX)
‘65 2 door saloon - CYD 315C
'66 Traveller - FHW 952D
'66 2 door saloon - KUD 108D
'66 Convertible - GKE 885D
'68 2 door saloon - TUW 453F
'68 4 door saloon - TYA 501G
'69 2 door saloon - RKJ 882G
'69 2 door saloon - ROU 979G
‘69 Traveller - LWL 835G

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Aug-Oct 1968 were in the FS 9**'s
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Vigil
Minor Fan

Post by Vigil »

Where are you getting your data on key codes?
I have a lock i am trying to find the key code for on my Nov of 59 van.
This is about the 10th time some one has come up with key code numbers.
Were the codes ever published in any books or on the internet?
Is there is a place to find a copy of all the key code numbers?
It would be nice to know so others can lookup the cars.

VIGIL
[b]-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*

1959 Morris Minor Van

Morris Minor Registry Of North America
http://www.morrisminor.us/

-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*[/b]
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

if all else fails, go to a moggie rally, and ask to try everyone's key in your door and ignition. it won't be long before you find one that fits, and you can just order that number.

about 40 years ago now, on a dark winter's afternoon in an open air car park, i returned to my morris minor, unlocked her, started her up, and was just about to exit the park when i noticed a shopping bag on the back seat that i'd never seen before. i took another look around and realised it wasn't my moggie. so i drove it back, re-parked it, and spotted mine about 20 yards away.

now, 40 years on, i have just bought a fully restored 1969 saloon from charles ware to go with my slightly battered 1958 converted saloon, because the convertible, if i can call it that, while great for summer, is too cold and draughty for the winter now i'm getting on a bit and the blood's getting a bit on the thin side.

when i got the new one home from charles ware, i tried the key for it in the convertible's lock and ignition, but neither worked. however, when i tried the convertible's key in the lock for the new one, the door opened first time, and when i tried to start it, bingo. first time again. so if you came across 10 moggies parked side by side in a field, and tried the key to all of them on your own car i bet you'd find at least a couple that fitted. :D
Vigil
Minor Fan

Post by Vigil »

I found a real locksmith in my area who took a blank.
Put it in the door and started cutting the spots where the tumbler hits.
A half hour later he had a working key.
I still do not know the number but now that i have several keys is does not matter.
My advise to you is to find a old lock smith that knows his stuff.

VIGIL
[b]-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*

1959 Morris Minor Van

Morris Minor Registry Of North America
http://www.morrisminor.us/

-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*[/b]