Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Early Glove Box covers/doors

Post by geoberni »

Hi
So my '55 doesn't have glove box doors, but I've managed to get a good condition pair of early doors.
The ultimate plan is to dismantle the drivers side one, keeping the main part for posterity and just use the chrome trim to hold a panel for some gauges/switches.
The passenger one I'm going to fit as a door, and it has a small sliding stay (which presumably the drivers side didn't need as it couldn't open far enough anyway :lol: ), which will presumably hold it level when open. I didn't know they had those.
Can anyone with the early 'flush mounted' doors please post up a photo of where the bracket is fixed?
Of direct me to the info elsewhere?
From the looks of the cup marks that I have yet to scrub off, it must be secure enough to take the weight of a cuppa!

Or was this a bit of after market personalisation?

Many thanks
20171007_092431.jpg
20171007_092431.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 5662 times
Basil the 1955 series II

palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Early Glove Box covers/doors

Post by palacebear »

Glove box lid you have is the 2nd of 3 different designs used between 1956 and 1971. It was indeed designed to support the weight of a cuppa !! Not sure how you'd fit it. Split-screen dash wasn't designed to take glovebox lids.
1956 4-door called Max
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The doors fit the holes (unfortunately, iaw Sod's Law, the hinge holes don't line up with the glove box securing holes) and even the clip will, I think, bend to keep it closed.
It's just the stay bar that's going to require more thought.
Basil the 1955 series II

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I'd be interested to see how you get on with this. I'm contemplating getting a second, less original split-screen that I can carry out some tweaks on. Glove box lids(s) would be a good little project. Please post up some pics when you get around to doing the job! :)
1956 4-door called Max
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Yep, I wasn't going to bother, even though Mrs had mentioned it as a possibility, since they are usually quite pricey, but she spotted a pair laying at the back of a bench at an Auto Jumble and the guy didn't really know what he had.
He said "Make me an offer on the pair" so I said "Ummmm... how about £10" thinking he's want at least twice that and he 'Done' so quick he was like a kid playing Snap.
Couldn't refuse at that price.
If they hadn't of fitted I'd have just ebay'd them. :wink:

Basil, so called because of the Reg letters BSL, has had some sympathetic modifications during his life, such as addition of an after-market heater, but there are some items I'm winding back, such as changing the front indicator lens to white/clear with an amber LED lamp used, so that they look like sidelights, even though he's got halogen headlamps with integral sidelights. :wink:
I'll put some pics up once the changes are done. probably in a few months as it will likely be part of the winter lay-up activities.
Basil the 1955 series II

firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

There are on my 1957 clips at the centre top of the aperture to mate with the door to keep it shut. The clips on CW's diagram may be the equivalent to mate with the clips on your doors.

The autocar diagram is also useful showing different doors and indeed depths and sizes of glove box inners

http://www.auto-part.com/britcatalogs/m ... =1&page=33

As for the sliding bevel stay bar I haven't got a scooby, but suspect it screwed / bolted through the side of the cardboard liner into some sort of strengthener. Hopefully someone with a 60 /61 minor can advise.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Are you absolutely sure that the glove box lid is for and from a Morris Minor.
The split screen Minor I that I had did not have the sliding stay, the lids just dropped down.
There is no ridged support within the glove box to attach the sliding stay too only the cardboard glove box.
If I remember correctly the Wolseley 1500 did have the stays as did the Riley 1.5 but that had a wooden dash board..
Can you please post a photo of the interior/cockpit side of the lid?

Pre web site revision there was a thread regarding the fitting of stays to the glove box lid(s).

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Here's a photo of how mine are fitted.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Glove_box_2.JPG
Glove_box_2.JPG (2.73 MiB) Viewed 5636 times

Regards
Declan
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

That looks like a minor glove box lid NS for a 60/61. They were changed to have a chrome surround and infilled on the interior of the lid. prior to that they were simply the pressed steel lids without infill or surround. Nor did the earlier ones have the stay. When open the ns hung loose (as it were) and the drivers side fouled the steering column. There was then a period with no lids , followed by the revamp (63/4) of the centre console and the open drivers side glove box and the lid only being present on the NS without a stay again.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It is indeed the type of glovebox door fitted to Minors from 1959 to 1961. The price you paid may seem a bargain but, as you say, you don't have the catches or the plate which attaches the stay to the dashboard. These parts are riveted to the dash. The catches are not the same as those used for the earlier (1956 to 1959) glovebox doors. These items will probably be harder to find than the doors themselves.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thanks to Declan for the photo (pity we don't have a Thumbs Up Smilie....)

Philthehill - while I don't have documented chain of evidence to confirm it, I'm pretty sure they are Minor Glove Box covers... :wink:
I might even guess at the colour being Clarendon (though I'm not too great at the wide range of colours Moggies came in).
20171008_122708 (2).jpg
20171008_122708 (2).jpg (408.72 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
The first thing is to get countersunk screws for holding it in as the existing screws holding the liner in place are dome head, hence why it's not fitting in the hole.
Basil the 1955 series II

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

looks more like Dove grey but may be a grubby Clarendon, I never understood how the later lids fitted into the aperture with the 'chrome' / stainless surround. My 1957 (Clarendon in case PB had forgotten) lids are a tight fit without it.

looks like CW may do the retaining catches. https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/10 ... ids?page=2
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It's a much darker colour than Dove Grey - apart from the fact that Dove Grey was not available at the time the glovebox lids were fitted :wink:
I can't see the catches for these on Wares website?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I thought it might be 17 but they could be the clips to hold the innards in, if so then a scrap car appears the only answer.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Item 17 is just a "speed nut" to retain a self tapping screw.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

And I suspect 16 is the same, hence my comment re a donor car.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

What I don't understand is how CW show glovebox liners with a chrome edge and list them as 'Early 53-61' when the liner appears to go under the metal edge of the fascia, as shown in Declans photo above?

When we got Basil both the liners were held in with sticky pads instead of screws, because the previous owner had the chrome edge but clearly didn't know how to fit them correctly. They had 8 screws lying in the ashtray because they didn't know what to do with them! :lol:
Our liners are now fitted as per Declan's photo, but I will need to change to countersink screws to get the required clearance.

As regards the catch, I think the metal bit on the lid will just clip over the bent edge of the glovebox aperture.
Basil the 1955 series II

mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

I think that colour may just be Sandy Beige. But it all depends on the colorimetry of the camera and viewer's PC screen.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

There were two types chrome liners. One went over the glove box lid as you have (and I haven't) and the other went round the open glove box aperture when no lids were supplied for a brief period.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/body-i ... -h-p828845
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

geoberni wrote:What I don't understand is how CW show glovebox liners with a chrome edge and list them as 'Early 53-61' when the liner appears to go under the metal edge of the fascia, as shown in Declans photo above?

As regards the catch, I think the metal bit on the lid will just clip over the bent edge of the glovebox aperture.
CW's website picture is incorrect. They need a proofreader with some Morris Minor knowledge.

You'll need the proper catches to make a decent job of the lids I think - otherwise they'll never be right. You'll have to do some 'phoning around. Somebody will have them.