Series MM Questions

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Series MM Questions

Post by AlanDRussell »

The MM front pipe is secured by two bolts to the exhaust manifold as against the 2 piece flange on the later series . If I can get a front pipe the silencer and the Tail Pipe will fit from the the later models.

Alan.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Thats what I thought. Can no one in the MMOC lend you one to take a pattern? Find it hard to believe everyone has a front pipe cobbled together from flexi.

Rod
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

Post by AlanDRussell »

re the side valve MM you can only purchase a stainless steel complete exhaust at a cost of over £230.00.
it would be a lot cheaper if the the exhaust is made of mild steel. or if you could purchase just the front pipe.
Alan D Russll
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Isn't it just a flange and 2 bends? If so, about £40 and a couple of hours jigging and welding to make one from pre-formed bends. It only gets cheaper if you get loads of them done all at once in a machine. Might be an option to buy a complete kit and then sell the aft section.

If I had Oxy torches here I could knock one up from a single piece of stainless but I've not got anything hot enough to do it.
acro-exhaust1a.jpg
acro-exhaust1a.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 12778 times
Cardiff, UK
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

Post by AlanDRussell »

I have an 1951 4door MM with the early rear Axle could you please advise me if I can expect any problems in replacing the rear axle pinion oil seal.

Alan D Russell
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

MM exhaust systems

Post by AlanDRussell »

Re my recent questions on exhaust systems for a 4 door MM I managed to buy a new old stock complete system from Collectors Car Parts Egham Surrey tele number 01784 471431. The system came as a complete unit at a very competative price.

Alan D Russell
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Hello Alan. I've just noticed these last 2 posts. Might get more replies if you started them in new threads since this old thread is likely to get overlooked.

Cheers

Rob.

PS Shouldn't be hard to pop the seal out, just like on the later axle.

PPS Howard at Collectors Car Parts is a great source of 'stuff', isn't he!
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

That's him!

When I used to fly the Sim up the road I would drop by and have a chat with Howard. Last time I was there, a few years ago, he gave me a box full of aircraft parts that he had unearthed. Knowing I played about with vintage planes he thought I'd find good homes for them. Freebies! Some of the switches I gave to a guy in NZ who was restoring a Tiger Moth.

What a gentleman Howard is.
Cardiff, UK
Ceejay
Minor Friendly

SMM convertible - fixed side screens ??

Post by Ceejay »

Hi all,

I have an SMM tourer / convertible. The car has low lights which I initially suspected was a modification and thought that the car may have originally come with high lights.

However some searching online has brought up RHD 83390 as the chassis number that all cars changed to high lights.

My car is SMM 69766 so I guess low lights is correct for it.

My next area of concern is the fact that the car has fixed rear side screens with glass.

This again could be a later modification.

What was the chassis number at which removable side screens changed to fixed side screens?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

According to Ray Newell's book, fixed windows replaced removable side-screens in June 1951 at car number 100920 (right hand drive) / 102836 (left hand drive).

Your SMM number suggests October 1949 build so I would expect low headlamps and side-screens if its a UK market car. If it's a right-hand drive export or a CKD this may not hold true, but I'm not certain. Hopefully someone will know more than me. I believe there was a 'cross-over' period when high-headlamp cars (mainly for export) were being built alongside low-headlamp models.

There are pics floating about on the internet of high-headlamp/removable sidescreen cars in the USA, and of low-headlamp/fixed window cars in continental Europe.

Confused....? (Sorry! :roll: )
Last edited by palacebear on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1956 4-door called Max
Ceejay
Minor Friendly

Post by Ceejay »

Sooo it's possible that this low light tourer was originally fitted with fixed side screens ??
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Post up some photos if you can. Much easier to date the car from pics than from descriptions.
Cardiff, UK
Ceejay
Minor Friendly

Post by Ceejay »

Very unclear pics attached for now as that's all I have till Monday.

Even better photos won't help really. It just looks like a low light tourer with fixed side screens. Vin number should be a better indication as to what it should have been originally.
Attachments
IMG_7846.JPG
IMG_7846.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 11957 times
IMG_7844.JPG
IMG_7844.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 11957 times
IMG_7834.JPG
IMG_7834.JPG (2.22 MiB) Viewed 11957 times
IMG_7830.JPG
IMG_7830.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 11957 times
IMG_7829.JPG
IMG_7829.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 11957 times
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Definitely possible. I'm not very familiar with their construction, but I'd imagine there's probably clear evidence of any modification.

I hesitate to suggest, but is it possible the car has a slightly later bodyshell these days? Its relatively simple to fit an earlier low-headlamp front end onto a later high-headlamp shell (as evidenced by a 1971 low-headlamp van sold on -line earlier this month!). Does the car number stamped in the front bulkhead beneath the regulator and fusebox marry up with the number you have quoted?

Was going to suggest pics but Rob's beaten me to it :) Some close-ups of the window frames and the window-ledge areas of the rear panels (inside as well as outside) when you're able, would be extremely helpful
1956 4-door called Max
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Does the front quaterlight window have an external hinge? Does the door handle have the oval 'escutcheon' plate round the hole where the handle goes into the door? Can you get some photos of the top of the windscreen, the hood frame and the bottom of the post that the door locks against (B-post) on the inside where the post welds to the sill and runs up the back of the door towards the front of the rear window.

If I was a betting man I'd say it was a Lowlight saloon that has been converted. Lots of original Lowlight features so not later than maybe 1951. Looks good!
Cardiff, UK
Ceejay
Minor Friendly

Post by Ceejay »

The registration book clearly states its a tourer. The only way it can be a cut up saloon, is if the book and car are not matching. Not impossible but unlikely as it's supposed to be a known original car.

Will take photos of the areas suggested plus check the stamped body number if present.
Ceejay
Minor Friendly

Body number stamping

Post by Ceejay »

Hi all,
Was the body number on the series MM, stamped with the alphabetical letters "SMM" as well as the numbers ??
IMG_8011.JPG
IMG_8011.JPG (3.06 MiB) Viewed 11930 times
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Yes.

The other numbers will tell a lot more about the car. The one screwed to the rail below the battery and behind the engine will be useful.
Cardiff, UK
mrgreg
Minor Friendly

Post by mrgreg »

Hi. I've just bought a split screen shell and want to know are all splitscreens mm. Cheers