Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
The vast minority
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: new addition to the fleet

Post by The vast minority »

palacebear wrote:The mirrors possibly look a little out-of-place on a Minor but they're not too far off-period. My family's photo albums reveal that my Dad's '57 Austin Cambridge had that shape/type of mirror already fitted when he bought it in 1961.
Indeed, apparently these were fitted very early on in the cars life. At least they are old and thus of excellent build quality.
Ill leave them as its part of the history now. Ive also decided to leave the "MOONRAKER MINORS" N Wilts branch sticker in the rear window for the same reason.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

firedrake1942 wrote:
As regards the antipodean photo posting. I think it is yet another quirk of this white elephant website.
Not just this site. I have it happen in other forums too.
It's usually a problem associated with photos taken on phones. I'm not consistent when using the phone in whether I take them with left or right hand.
Whilst they always appear the right way up when uploaded to my PC, it seems that online the forum software knows which way round they were, and vertically taken ones (portrait) it will place landscape.
I always post photos from my PC; if it's upside down on preview, I delete the upload, go back to the image in regular viewing software, rotate it full circle and re-save. Then when I try again its right way up.

Of course if you post from a phone, then you don't have the luxury of checking it.

So, these 3 images as an example:
First a screen shop of the Thumbnails, showing both looking OK
Then the original 3.9mB as taken, which appears sideways
Then the one I resized and spun around before re-saving at 680kB
Example.JPG
Example.JPG (31.85 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
20171107_181224.jpg
20171107_181224.jpg (3.88 MiB) Viewed 2462 times
20171107_181224A.jpg
20171107_181224A.jpg (679.86 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Wonderful car but I was intrigued about the initial Picture of it sitting on the scissor lift.

As I will Need to get one soon, how do you get on with it? Is it stable and easy to use, Access ok?

would be grateful for some feedback
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

That's a gorgeous and delightful car! As a restorer I can really appreciate one that hasn't had and doesn't need any work...
Number plates will be orig too: All styles of letters were available at the time, it was just down to what the dealer supplied.
As for Clarendon grey, I'm toying with the idea of painting my '94 Land Rover that colour. Too many poncy metallic Landys about for me :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Vast Minority, . Any chance of putting a decent photo of the bonnet pull label on here, with dimensions, as I wouldn't mind making up a reproduction. I made a good fist of the regulator label which was on a concours car.

While the wing mirrors are different to mine , I do not think they look out of place. If you ever replace the carpet do not throw the foot wear patch away, they are a sod to find and none of the new carpets has them built in. Newton Commercial do them in a Mini carpet set but want £40.00 for just the patch !!

What is it like under the bonnet ?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Vast Minority, . Any chance of putting a decent photo of the bonnet pull label on here, with dimensions, as I wouldn't mind making up a reproduction. I made a good fist of the regulator label which was on a concours car.

While the wing mirrors are different to mine , I do not think they look out of place. If you ever replace the carpet do not throw the foot wear patch away, they are a sod to find and none of the new carpets has them built in. Newton Commercial do them in a Mini carpet set but want £40.00 for just the patch !!

The vast minority
Minor Fan

Nickol wrote:Wonderful car but I was intrigued about the initial Picture of it sitting on the scissor lift.

As I will Need to get one soon, how do you get on with it? Is it stable and easy to use, Access ok?

would be grateful for some feedback

Hi, its a BH repairs 2700KG and is a thing of wonder. it is extremely stable, this is because it is insanely heavy at half a ton! it comes with as many different height options for the support pads as you could possibly want, the 4 arms are all movable and it has so far coped with everything i've put on it. Even the R50 for an auto box fluid change was easy once i positioned a a scaffold plank either side of the lift to solve the problem of the very low R50 ground clearance. Im limited to lift height in the garage as it has a door that rolls flat into the roof space and its a truss roof as well.

Here is a pic of the r50 and a link to the BH repairs website. Have a watch of the video in the link for an idea of access.
Id recommend the lift without hesitation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... oRAb63O72M
Attachments
IMG_2219.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2450 times
IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 2450 times
Last edited by The vast minority on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

IaininTenbury wrote:That's a gorgeous and delightful car! As a restorer I can really appreciate one that hasn't had and doesn't need any work...
Number plates will be orig too: All styles of letters were available at the time, it was just down to what the dealer supplied.
As for Clarendon grey, I'm toying with the idea of painting my '94 Land Rover that colour. Too many poncy metallic Landys about for me :)

Sir is most kind, ill pass on your comments to Edward this morning, thanks. Was there not a clarendon grey as standard on older land rovers? my dad had a 2a that was either this shade or very close.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

firedrake1942 wrote:Vast Minority, . Any chance of putting a decent photo of the bonnet pull label on here, with dimensions, as I wouldn't mind making up a reproduction. I made a good fist of the regulator label which was on a concours car.

I believe someone here was having them reproduced recently so this work is already done. have a search for the thread, I only saw it via a facebook link on the other side let me know if you cant find it and ill see if I can trace it.

Ill not be replacing the carpets, might give them a gentle clean in the summer but its staying as-is in its garage in its original condition.

The mirrors are good, I just think they detract somewhat from the otherwise unspoilt originallity. No matter, they are there and we cant change that.

Under-bonnet is good, its got an aftermarket fuel pump but ive got at least 3 SU's in stock so will change it. Its nice to see the tie plate data plate present and correct. :D

Yours looks lovely, mine is probably a bit less shiny. Has yours been restored or is it also original? they would make a great display side by side some time.

Al
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Purely curious... how many miles has it done?
1956 4-door called Max
The vast minority
Minor Fan

palacebear wrote:Purely curious... how many miles has it done?
Glad you asked as I really hadn't though of it. Just had a look. 44,644

MOT history check on DVLA goes back to 2006 and suggests very low use as was communicated to myself by the vendor. I had been told the car moved around a bit with the previous owner. I now remember that the guy I got it off said he got it in 2007 not 2010 and this is supported in the MOT history which sees the car move north. Hasn't been MOTd since 2013 but ill get it done for next spring just to maintain an online history. Car is in perfect mechanical order, (ive checked it myself) :D
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Great to have such a low mileage. It really is looking and sounding like a great acquisition. Long may you enjoy! :)
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

A couple more of the best BMC coloured Minors I have come across of late !
Attachments
IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1563.JPG (3.16 MiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG (3.21 MiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG (3.04 MiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG (3.92 MiB) Viewed 2413 times
stag36587
Minor Legend