Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Clever way to sell a log book

Post by firedrake1942 »

Irmscher, rather harsh, It seems, from my reading, that AMPWHU uses the funds gained by selling the plates to fund the purchase and restoration of classics, whilst I may not be in favour of personalised number plates , regarding them as vanity items and believing that far from looking cool it has entirely the opposite effect, it is legal albeit destroying a car's originality, at least classics are getting repaired etc.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

A decade ago in a moment of madness and, I admit, of vanity I acquired a cheap personalised plate, P300*** (*** = my initials). The plate came from DVLA unissued stock. It had never been used before and was fine for my purposes without any manipulation of spacing etc. The plate went on a 1997 (P-reg) car and was sold with the car some years later.

My Minor (originally JMS***) had its number transferred by a previous owner. I know the 'age related' replacement number (***YUA) isn't quite 'right'. It rather spoils the car insofar as I have a lot of its history, including old MOT certificates, tax discs and photographs of it with the old number on them.
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Hopefully a workable link to the 're-bodied' ???car

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C934458

AS PB said it rather bizarrely has a high cut rear OS wing and S2 boot badge, but the rest of it is a 'modern' post 1963 Minor 1000, from its indicators, wires, elephant trunk hose and interior as well as large front and back windscreens.

Missing hockey sticks and front chrome oversprayed as are boot hinges.

This one was also discussed on the 'Morris Minor Owners' Facebook page where it was dismissed as a 'ringer' 1964 possibly NOT 1954. NB it then had different stickers on the boot as below.
Attachments
23319424_2015636755382959_2295044600470679907_n.jpg
23319424_2015636755382959_2295044600470679907_n.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

That's a load of old 'Bull'.
How do you 're-body' a car, in effect they are claiming that nothing is original apart from the manufacturers Plate.

It's like Triggers Broom (if you're a Only Fools and Horses aficionado)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HisD_pqlRHQ

And it appears that DVLA have not been informed of some of these changes, since the Add claims a 998cc engine, but DVLA have it as 800cc.

Surely it's got to be a Ringer and badly done at that.
I'm a complete newbie to MM ownership, but that looks so wrong on so many counts. Cops or Trading Standards should be investigating that for fraud/deception.
Basil the 1955 series II

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Geoberni it’s happening all the time people buy the cars and just clone them by swapping plates .i don’t know what the consequences would be in an insurance claim or an accident or fatality.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

no I certainly don't move digits to 'improve' it. the spacing is correct and legal. it only has 4 digits so it look great anyway.

in regards to selling the plates, I'm not greedy at all. I look at it as a business proposition. its easy money and having no sentimental value to me, the more money I get the better. its better as well, if I can buy the car, sell the plate and sell it on in a shorter space of time.

beware, I will keep doing this and could be after your car next!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Glad I'm not that money orientated. Even if I thought it was acceptable, I wouldn't want the hassle. :roll:
Mind you it's the characters who want these plates that tempt others to make a fast buck. The plate I've got comes from my first Minor, that sadly is no more, it hasn't got a letter before or after it (but definitely not my initials) So maybe I'm one of the 'flash brigade', though I do hope not ! Don't think anyone will be getting my car for its plate.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ampwhu wrote:
beware, I will keep doing this and could be after your car next!
Well you'll be out of luck, my number is non-transferable because some past owner sold the original !!! :evil: .
Mine is now on it's 3rd Reg number, having relinquished it's 1962 plate a few years ago.
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You sound upset, it was only someone seeing pound notes! :wink:

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

ampwhu I think you are deliberately winding people up . I hope you are paying tax on your lucrative deals I think not . I wondered if it was you who bought the private plate dik 1 :lol:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

irmscher wrote:Geoberni it’s happening all the time people buy the cars and just clone them by swapping plates .i don’t know what the consequences would be in an insurance claim or an accident or fatality.
Exactly!!

Anyway, thought this was a club for Minor enthusiasts, not those who's only "enthusiasm" is exploiting the Minor?!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

irmscher wrote:ampwhu I think you are deliberately winding people up . I hope you are paying tax on your lucrative deals I think not . I wondered if it was you who bought the private plate dik 1 :lol:
why would I want to wind people up? your all getting wound up on your own because someone is selling a log book and your all starting to have a breakdance about it.

why make a comment about a private plate like that? to me your the dik, as you wouldn't ne able to buy that as they wouldn't have an "I" in a numberplate unless it was irish.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

POMMReg wrote:
irmscher wrote:Geoberni it’s happening all the time people buy the cars and just clone them by swapping plates .i don’t know what the consequences would be in an insurance claim or an accident or fatality.
Exactly!!

Anyway, thought this was a club for Minor enthusiasts, not those who's only "enthusiasm" is exploiting the Minor?!
I have a split screen that had a 4 digit plate on it. I sold it over 20 years ago to buy the garage it currently sits in. its not running at the moment as its not moved further than 12 foot since 1998.

I also have another minor that had another 4 digit plate on which again I sold to restore it. this car is highly modified and in fantastic condition.

yer I'm not an enthusiast :roll:
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Steady on chaps! We can all be enthusiasts but differ on things like this :wink:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Sometimes its the way something is put over that can irritate people more than the issue being discussed.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

ampwhu wrote:
POMMReg wrote:
Exactly!!

I have a split screen that had a 4 digit plate on it. I sold it over 20 years ago to buy the garage it currently sits in. its not running at the moment as its not moved further than 12 foot since 1998.

I also have another minor that had another 4 digit plate on which again I sold to restore it. this car is highly modified and in fantastic condition.

yer I'm not an enthusiast :roll:
So by changing all the mechanics/characteristics of a Minor - in some cases only the bodyshell original - this is the actions of an enthusiast?

If you want something comfortable & cruises at 90mph, get a modern.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The car with his initials on is a Mercedes, can't recall why it was mentioned but I seem to remember him telling us.
That would possibly be his 90mph 'modern'

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

It's a real shame to see negativity like this, regarding what people should do, or shouldn't do to their cars etc. Unfortunately, it's all too common on here, and I know of several folk who post less frequently because of it. We are fortunate with our Minors in that there are SO many out there, that it really doesn't matter if people choose to modify a car, or break one for spares to keep another on the road, though from some of the comments I see, one might be forgiven for thinking that it was a heinous crime. Perhaps it would be different if we were talking about a classic that is a real rarity with few 'original' examples left... There are many things that I don't agree with personally, but I understand that others have different opinions, and they can be just as 'right' as I am. Live and let live, folks!
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Good post and great summation ! I try and keep my Moggie as original as I can but thats me !!!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Can you think of any field of Human activity where opinions don't get expressed? It's nice to keep them peaceful but we're talking about the Human animal here, so it doesn't always pan out that way! It's been a trait throughout history, and we're stuck with it. In this case some might say it keeps the forum alive. :D