seized morris

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mamodesen
MMOC Member: No

seized morris

Post by mamodesen »

hey guys
im hoping one of you can give me some advise on my morris.
ive inherited a morris thats been siting in a garage for 30+ years and was just wondering if there is surgestion on what to clean, dismantle, grease up etc before i try and turn it over?
thanks in advance
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: seized morris

Post by les »

If it's seized, you need to get some fluid into the combustion chambers to try to free things, I think diesel fluid is suitable. Probably head removal would be a better idea, you can at least see the condition of stuff then. It's likely you'll need an engine rebuild, if the piston rings are stuck in their grooves. However first thing is to get it freed up.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

If you're not used to this type of car, I'd get a trusted mate or local garage man to have a look. Thirty odd years standing is a long time. Getting the engine turning may be the least of your problems. The brakes will certainly need recommissioning! New tyres will be essential. But before you invest too much get the structure of the car assessed.
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Mine had sat for a similar time and one of the exhaust valves was seized in the down position. A quick tap with a hammer freed it. Have the rocker cover off to check this is not the case with yours. I then put a small amount of engine oil in the spark plug holes before turning it over by hand. I then tested the compression and this was very poor. I then realised the clutch was seized so the engine came out anyway. I had the head off and the exhaust valves were not sealing at all. Then the big ends were worn so I ended up reconditioning it.
Everything on the car that is made of rubber will need changing, prepare yourself for a big expensive job. Good luck.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Hope we've not scared you to death! You'll really love it when it's sorted out. :D
mamodesen

Post by mamodesen »

thanks for the advice guy.
i'm quite competent, i've restored two BMW e30s just wanted to get some advice from guys who've tackled a Morris before.
thanks again, ill let you guy know how it goes when i muster the courage to brave the elements as its just started snowing here