Help required on electrics

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Help required on electrics

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Hi All
I am rewiring my '52 series mm & have been going quite well as I labelled up all the old loom & transferred these to the new loom.
At the moment I have one snag, the 2 components in the photo attached the one which has a label on it is labelled side & tail lamp warning light & according to the circuit diagram on page N26 in the workshop manual comes from S1 on the main light switch with cable no41 (red) - great but where does it fit in the dash?
The other item I have a problem with as its not shown on the circuit diagram & so I'm at a loss as to where it fits & also where it is connected & what warning its giving. The tag on this item has gone astray (sods law) but its does have a bullet connector at one end.
Any help will be gratefully accepted.
Attachments
warning lights id.JPG
warning lights id.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2855 times

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Re: Help required on electrics

Post by biomed32uk »

I am not familiar with that vintage of Minor, mine being later, but I am sure I have seen these fittings within the dash panel providing instrument illumination. May be a clue.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

The side/tail warning lamp (green in colour?) fits in the board behind the chrome grille on the dash centre piece. I believe it fits near the bottom, above the ignition switch. The other lamp is probably the main-beam warning light (red in colour? Fitted to later series MMs only. Depending on the age of your manual/wiring diagram it won't be shown). You should find another cut-out in the board behind the chrome dash grille to house it.
1956 4-door called Max
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Heres a pic from Stevies car resto, Im fairly certain they slide in bedind the starter and choke before you tighten them up.

As Palacebear says, red light is the main beam warning light and green shines down above your key.
Attachments
mbimage.jpg
mbimage.jpg (84.45 KiB) Viewed 3102 times

Too many Minors so little time.....
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Hey thanks alot folks,much appreciated
Regards
BrianR

AndrewT
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by AndrewT »

Don’t think my 54 series 2 has the side lamp warning light behind the dash so was this only for earlier models?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Side lamp warning light only on earlier gold dash models. Discontinued when central speedo introduced during '54
1956 4-door called Max
AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

I got the waterfall dash in mine but never seen a green light I do have the switch under the dash to turn my gauge lights off and full beam light
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Far as I know all the waterfall dash cars had one. Attached behind chrome trim. Green light. Shines downwards onto ignition switch. Maybe fallen behind dash, or damaged or missing or disconnected or bulb blown...?
1956 4-door called Max
AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

I shall look into it how Do the light come through to the dash? Through the slats in the waterfall? As the full beam got a cutout in the backing card
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Yes... through the grille. Check out the stripped-out dashboard pic posted by DavidMcCulloch higher up this thread. It shows the high beam light (white body) and the light you refer to (grey-ish body) in situ with the chrome grille removed. Will give you an idea of how to gain access to them. I don't think it's as scary as it looks! :)
1956 4-door called Max