Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Split at Rear spring hanger.

Post by arnoldsally »

Good job the local garage picked this up, so much for the seller...........
Attachments
Picture today.
Picture today.
Welding needed.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 2444 times
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Split at Rear spring hanger.

Post by les »

Just goes to show, you need to check and double check when buying old cars. You can't always rely on the seller.

arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

Yes fortunately the seller has contacted me and will cover the cost (good man), maybe slight oversight but now its safe.

Hope I enjoy my first moggie and its the last car I will have as I am now retired.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Glad its resolving and getting sorted out. Slapping a patch on is not the way there, as that rot will extend by the looks of it. By the looks of the photo so without a proper look and a prod that could be a new rear chassis section and possibly inner wing section.

You'll enjoy her once shes sorted. I bought my Minor that had been restored allbeit 6 years previous with about 200 miles on the clock since that restoration, theres only so much you can see on an inspection. Only when you get up close and personal do the past bodges come to light, 4 years on and I think I have finally sorted most of them out now !. Think it had been rushed to get it out of the way.
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

biomed32uk wrote:Glad its resolving and getting sorted out. Slapping a patch on is not the way there, as that rot will extend by the looks of it. By the looks of the photo so without a proper look and a prod that could be a new rear chassis section and possibly inner wing section.

You'll enjoy her once shes sorted. I bought my Minor that had been restored allbeit 6 years previous with about 200 miles on the clock since that restoration, theres only so much you can see on an inspection. Only when you get up close and personal do the past bodges come to light, 4 years on and I think I have finally sorted most of them out now !. Think it had been rushed to get it out of the way.
thank you for that, I realise there will be lots of welding in the future but that's classics car for you. They looked and prodded all over and said it was not bad for its age.
Patrick
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Obviously I can't see the outside from the photo, but as it shows above, you can rest assured that it would not have collapsed on you just yet. Whilst clearly an MOT failure it does appear to have a good few miles left in it. I hope that you replaced the worn rubber bush whilst everything was apart. Hopefully you will now be able to enjoy the car.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

The wing looks tidy enough but it's often said that the Minor can hide it's floorpan woes well.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Redmoggy »

That is indeed a rusty spring hanger. However it has taken at least some effort for the second garage to puncture the steel with a sharp steel object, screwdriver, pry bar etc. My recollection of the MOT regs is that the tester can use no more than finger and thumb pressure, or the little toffee hammer recommended by the Ministry of Transport. Therefore it's unlikely that a tester carrying out the test as required would have found it.

Whilst it is not ideal and you have my sympathy, I am not of the opinion that the dealer selling the car did anything wrong.

I am however curious as to how the garage is going to repair this section. Have you asked them what they intend to do, what thickness of steel they will use, how far they intend to cut it back? Without knowing these things it is possible they could effect a repair that will have no effect on the strength of the spring hanger what so ever.

Rod
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Looks as though somebody will need this to weld onto the car
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/body-i ... m-p1238103
There are other repair panels , depending how far the rust has gone but a competent Morris Minor ( Old school ) garage will know what is required. Having replaced the whole kit on my mates Morris the important / vital / crucial thing is to take exact measurements from datum points so that the rear suspension / back axle goes back perfectly aligned. There was a horror story on the Forum some years ago where a garage " did the job " but they couldn't re fit the propshaft because the spring hangers where welded in further forward to the front of the car !! All had to be done again.
Your garage seems to know what they are about.
Bob
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

biomed32uk wrote:Glad its resolving and getting sorted out. Slapping a patch on is not the way there, as that rot will extend by the looks of it. By the looks of the photo so without a proper look and a prod that could be a new rear chassis section and possibly inner wing section.

thank you. I will be going over it in detail when the fine weather comes.....
One thing I am not goo at is welding due to having lazer eye treatment years ago, really bright lights make it difficult to weld. I am really pleased how she is running and its my last car now.
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

mogbob wrote:Looks as though somebody will need this to weld onto the car
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/body-i ... m-p1238103
There are other repair panels , depending how far the rust has gone but a competent Morris Minor ( Old school ) garage will know what is required. Having replaced the whole kit on my mates Morris the important / vital / crucial thing is to take exact measurements from datum points so that the rear suspension / back axle goes back perfectly aligned. There was a horror story on the Forum some years ago where a garage " did the job " but they couldn't re fit the propshaft because the spring hangers where welded in further forward to the front of the car !! All had to be done again.
Your garage seems to know what they are about.
Bob
thank you.
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

Redmoggy wrote:That is indeed a rusty spring hanger. However it has taken at least some effort for the second garage to puncture the steel with a sharp steel object, screwdriver, pry bar etc. My recollection of the MOT regs is that the tester can use no more than finger and thumb pressure, or the little toffee hammer recommended by the Ministry of Transport. Therefore it's unlikely that a tester carrying out the test as required would have found it.

Whilst it is not ideal and you have my sympathy, I am not of the opinion that the dealer selling the car did anything wrong.

I am however curious as to how the garage is going to repair this section. Have you asked them what they intend to do, what thickness of steel they will use, how far they intend to cut it back? Without knowing these things it is possible they could effect a repair that will have no effect on the strength of the spring hanger what so ever.

Rod
Hi Rod, they made a section from a good bit of steel and welded it in place. They said they will keep an eye on it for me.
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

Blaketon wrote:The wing looks tidy enough but it's often said that the Minor can hide it's floorpan woes well.
Hi, yes I bet they can lol. thank you.
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

simmitc wrote:Obviously I can't see the outside from the photo, but as it shows above, you can rest assured that it would not have collapsed on you just yet. Whilst clearly an MOT failure it does appear to have a good few miles left in it. I hope that you replaced the worn rubber bush whilst everything was apart. Hopefully you will now be able to enjoy the car.
Hi, no did not have a bush on hand but looks like I will need a spring to the near side so will be doing work in the summer(if we have one).
Its under a folding type cover and on a rubber mat with heaters under it as I have no garage and its keeping it nice and warm, other half thinks I am mad.................