Vanessa '68 2dr saloon

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Vanessa '68 2dr saloon

Post by GavinL »

Vanessa is a 1968 2 door saloon, which we bought 3 months ago, with the intention that she becomes my wife’s daily driver. She is currently white, but poorly painted, so will need a respray in the future, when we may return her to what we think is her original colour of Peat. Although she had an MOT when we bought her, it was quickly apparent that she needed new chassis legs, as the fulcrum pins were moving in their holes, so we had this work done at Charles Ware. She also had play in the N/S swivel pin, so I decided to overhaul all of the front suspension whilst I was at it. It turned out that she had seized brake cylinders at the front, one per side, and leaking oil seals at the rear axle. As I have become more familiar with her, it has become apparent that she would benefit from further welding to sort out potential issues, the most pressing one being the off side front spring hanger, as well as refurbishing the seats. So, I've decided to take the plunge, buy a MIG welder, and sort her out over the winter. So I’ll add pictures to this thread as I go along. So, now the fun begins!
Last edited by GavinL on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Re: Vanessa '68 2dr saloon

Post by GavinL »

First job when we got Vanessa was to sort out was a water loss, which I traced to a rotten bypass hose. As she is my wife's car she wants to do what she can, so she got stuck in and replaced it. Rather than use a concertina repair tube we took the radiator out and the water pump so we could use a piece of solid hose for a better repair.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (939.31 KiB) Viewed 9429 times
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Below are the before and after of the chassis legs. I had both replaced as one was worse than the other, but both had numerous 'MOT welds'.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 9425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 9425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (349.26 KiB) Viewed 9866 times
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by SageGreenPete »

I'm liking those carbs!
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Looks a good project, does make you wonder how an MOT cert can be obtained sometimes though.

Least you'll know it done right and solid, remember to fill the legs up with cavity wax.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Well spotted on the carbs! She came with twin 1 1/4 SUs and a cherry bomb exhaust with a Midget manifold.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (687.65 KiB) Viewed 9405 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 9405 times
I've replaced the exhaust with a standard exhaust fitted to modified minor manifold.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 9405 times
The carbs I'll keep for the time being, but they may get replaced with a standard Minor carb in the future.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Below are photos of the front spring mount. Not only is there a hole adjacent to it, the reinforcement plate has no securing bolts, so I suspect it has all been welded up, which will make replacing the springs difficult!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 9403 times
Viewed from under the rear seat.
Viewed from under the rear seat.
image.jpeg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 9403 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (4.36 MiB) Viewed 9403 times
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

The spring pin is correct, one end is a nut the other a large diameter which pulls into the hanger as an interference fit, I think it was for ease of assembly, you can easily slide the spring in with one bush then pull the other in with the pin.

You are right though it does need replacing there is probably all sorts of horrors under the patches, unfortunately it will probably extend into the rear of the sill structure as well.

Kevin
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Kevin,

There should be two bolts holding the reinforcing plate ( item 34) which goes around the bolt in place, neither of these are fitted, so in theory there is nothing holding it on, so i can only assume either the welded patch is also welded to the reinforcing plate, or it is welded to the pin.
Attachments
mm02.jpg
mm02.jpg (89.61 KiB) Viewed 9808 times
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I completely missed those ones weren't there!

here is how ours looks, (a bit blurry)
rps20170904_195323.jpg
rps20170904_195323.jpg (108.05 KiB) Viewed 9785 times
Yes looks like it has been welded on, shouldn't be too much of a problem though if you are replacing the hanger it can always all be chopped off with an angle grinder.

kevin
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Just to prove I'm still working on Vanessa when I can, more horrors I've exposed.

Next is to remove the glass as she is going to get a full respray in due course. The window seals are all virtually new, the question is it practical to remove the side windows without damaging the glass or seals, or should I just cut the seals and accept I'll have to fit new seals?
Attachments
You can see daylight through this seam
You can see daylight through this seam
image.jpeg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 9054 times
The rear Spring hanger has been heavily patched
The rear Spring hanger has been heavily patched
image.jpeg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 9054 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 9054 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 9054 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Gosh. That car had a lot of hidden rust didn't it :o .
The rear side windows should come out complete with the rubbers if they are fairly new simply by giving them a good hard push from outside the car towards the inside of the car. When the cars were built, there were two metal clips fitted within the rubbers which helped hold the windows in position but these are seldom re-fitted. If they ARE present, they should be visible when you start to remove them.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Just as well you spotted those shonky chassis legs! :o

My 1970 Traveller's both looked superficially sound, but one wet winter's day as I was rounding a sharp bend towards a T-junction onto a main road in the dark, the left-hand leg on mine collapsed inwards due to hidden internal rust, ripping out the front brake hose, so I was left with no brakes as I approached the junction! I only jutted out of it a short distance, but typically, someone happened to be going along the main road in a Rover 45, and fortunately, swerved to avoid me, but still the front of my car brushed lightly against the side of theirs, causing a fair bit of damage to the front end. :roll:

Alas, their Rover was a write-off (somehow, they managed to spin it further up the road and crash it into a barrier - they were shaken, as was I, but thankfully no injuries), but once recovered, I was able to get a new nearside chassis leg fitted to the Minor. I'll check them regularly from now on...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Thanks Manyminors, I takled the windows today, and once I started they popped out frighteningly easily. The window and seal were in fact quite 'loose' in the frame, so probably not very weathertight, so they'll get some suitable sealant when I replace them.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

So took the other rear wing off today - rust, aluminium mesh and filler and fibreglass bodges, I've found it all!
Attachments
The sill had a fibreglass patch
The sill had a fibreglass patch
image.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 8952 times
Rear Spring hanger to be investigated further!
Rear Spring hanger to be investigated further!
image.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 8952 times
The end of the sill had a filler and aluminium mesh patch
The end of the sill had a filler and aluminium mesh patch
image.jpeg (971.35 KiB) Viewed 8952 times
Daylight between the inner and outer wings
Daylight between the inner and outer wings
image.jpeg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 8952 times
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Since my last post I have been steadily stripping Vanessa, so she is now a rolling she'll, just speedo etc to remove.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 8479 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 8479 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 8479 times
I've been cleaning and refurbishing bits as I go - she was originally peat but the previous owner painted her badly white, and didn't strip her properly, so everywhere there was over spray ( brake pipes and unions, wiper motor, coil etc.) he slapped black paint to cover the White overspray :( Also the rusty bits ( gearbox cradle, engine mounts etc. )have been cleaned, de rusted and given a coat of black Smoothrite.

Next up will be getting the paint removed, question is what do people recommend- soda blasting or an alternative method?
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Depending on the paint applied, try thinners or paint stripper, perhaps working it in with a Scotch pad or wire wool/fine wire brush.

Hopefully, the overspray will come off fairly easily, as the parts affected won't have been 'prepped' so the paint probably wouldn't stick particularly well...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Having been through all the available paint strippers(which dont) I can recommend Synstrip from the Ebay.
Still not as good as the old stuff, which is no longer available due to eu scaremongering, but best there is.
John
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I used modern wickes paint stripper but the trick is to apply it, cover it in cling film and leave overnight, some areas took 2 coats and it is messy but worked well enough. You will need to paint it with something else very quickly though as surface rust starts almost straight away. Personally I usually leave striping the larger areas until right at the end of the restoration to avoid having to apply temporary paint and strip it off again.

kevin
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Hot air gun and good scraper works well.

Rod