splitscreen fitting

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

splitscreen fitting

Post by alexandermclaren »

Seen lots of fitting advice whats the voter opinion on the best
316p9bb.jpg
316p9bb.jpg (71.38 KiB) Viewed 3903 times

Keith
Minor Fan

Re: splitscreen fitting

Post by Keith »

Johnno's method gets my vote, unfortunately the images didn't survive the migration to the new site, best PM him.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62964
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I was expecting a nightmare when it came to fitting the Lowlight screen to our Tourer. In fact, it took under an hour to do the lot, all by myself.

I think the best tips are to apply red rubber grease to the seal where it meets the glass, fit the rubber to the body, lay the glass in place, use plastic coated washing line (greased) to pop the lip over the glass and don't be tempted to use any undue force on the chrome strip as it easily deforms. Against the advice of the manual, I didn't insert the centre strip until after getting the glass in. The lube permitted me to force the glass apart enough to get the strip in later
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

The factory video from Molenaar shows the whole window/seal/chrome assembly all built up and just fitted in one go by 2 blokes. Maybe the seals were warmed up first? Don't use hot water or Fairy Liquid, just a warm room (In Ailsa Craig???) or maybe a hair dryer?
Cardiff, UK
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Yes, I just had another look at the molinaar video and they didn't even appear to have a string inserted first, just a rubber hammer!! :o
markattard
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by markattard »

My turn to have some fun fitting the splitty screen!! :o

Anyone done it recently any more tips? tried fitting the glass to rubber away from the car... already 2 hours ..unsuccessful.. going for some clamps like these to help me keep the rubber in place while inserting the glass.. any help pics appreciated!!
Attachments
clamps.jpg
clamps.jpg (18.41 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Try just one side. You may find the new rubber (if not using the original) is too large for the hole and will never fit without violence. I believe someone is now selling smaller glass to allow the use of new type seals.

Fitted mine with old glass and old seal with little difficulty on my own in a few hours.
Cardiff, UK
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Check out page 10 of Steveys restoration, Ive fitted several this way using an old cut down pillar to make the 2 glasses into one then fit the rubber to the glass and then fit from inside the car pulling the string outside.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=40334&hilit=1954+s ... &start=180

Too many Minors so little time.....
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

Thank you so much!!!!

Silly me now i realised i'm missing the steel part no 5 in the diagram!! the split screen pillar back strip!! anyone has a spare one please? pls pm me
Attachments
55d49d994cc72-windscreena-nd-backlight.jpg
55d49d994cc72-windscreena-nd-backlight.jpg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I can confirm today that the Morris MO chrome will not fit. The glass is too tall and the top curve is different. If you trimmed it a bit then it could be made to fill in until an original can be found. The profile of the chrome trim is the same.
Cardiff, UK
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

hi Rob, thanks , would you know what is the thickness of the centre pillar split screen back plate please? I'm missing it and need to manufacture one thanks
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Flat sheet about 1.5mm, I'd say. It can be thicker if you want it more solid or your countersunk screws are a different profile.

Do you want an exact figure?
Cardiff, UK
plumby74
Minor Friendly

Re: Splitscreen fitting

Post by plumby74 »

Mark Attard, if you still need that windscreen centre-pillar rear strip, with 4 holes for female screws, plus the mounting for the rear-view mirror, I have several here in Melbourne and it'd be easy/light to post.
Strips for even earlier Series MM cars did not have the boss to mount the rear-view mirror, I am told!
Send me a PM if your need still exists!

Phil Plumbe, Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Australia.