boot key

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
FFG
MMOC Member: No

boot key

Post by FFG »

First post so here goes. Hello to all and you'll probably get annoyed with me after a while. Got a '59 original (I think) tourer in cream but lots of queries and questions. It was exported but no idea to where so hope to get info from the DVLA, engine has been changed (no engine number and loads of other bits I'd like to get to the bottom of. Anyway onto priorities, no boot key so i've taken it apart and it has 011 stamped on the square lock mechanism. I know the lock could have been changed but what key number do I need, ie FA, FS, Fp etc. as I want to try that first as it doesn't look like the original crimping has been touched.
I've also got TVR's and a 1974 Land Rover with a P6B V8 in it as well as the daily runabouts. Thanks, FFG
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: boot key

Post by ManyMinors »

Hello and welcome to this happy forum. I too have a similar age convertible - although I know mine is NOT an original one. 011 as a key number makes no sense. 911 would make sense with a FS prefix 811 possibly with a FP prefix?. A 1959 car wouldn't originally have had FS locks though and originally the bootlock would have been the same as the ignition anyway...... 1959 would have had FP locks. The bootlock might well have been changed and a later replacement could well have a FS911 lock if that's any help?

Good luck with that and your other classics. I think many of us here also own other cars too.

A "Heritage Certificate" from the Gaydon motor museum, using the chassis number should tell you much original build information.
FFG

Post by FFG »

Its clearly states 011 on the square keyway:

Apologies for the delay - having real trouble with my login details. Seems to go haywire everytime I want to log in.
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ndevans »

I think, and don't hold me to this because I've got a Traveller, so the rear lock is different, and I haven't had one apart, that you need to get the lock barrel out of the handle. The keycode is stamped on there. I've had door locks apart, and it's on the barrel on those.
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Here is the barrel from a spare door lock. You can just make out the code 879 stamped on the barrel next to the ridge.
There is a website somewhere which lists all the fp & fs keycode, and shows an outline of the profile of the key. I can't post a link to it now, but Google fp or fs keycode and you'll find it.
IMG_20180424_223404.jpg
IMG_20180424_223404.jpg (549.45 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
cheers N

FFG

Post by FFG »

Thanks, I've got FS keys on my 1974 Land Rover so fully aware on the Wilmot Breeden type keys. I have no key to get the barrel out so is the only way to file off the barbs to get the existing barrel out, replace the barrel and replace the barbs?
FFG

Post by FFG »

Just found something through Google and it could be an MRN key number so ordered an original MRN key. Hope it works.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

I'm not sure how you get the barrel out of a rear door or boot handle. I've only done it on a door lock.
New barrels are available from the usual suppliers.
cheers N

FFG

Post by FFG »

I think I can see how - by filing off the tangs holding the square drive in place but I'll try the key first. I have a spare barrel to go in but rather go the easy option first.