Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BaldyTone
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Lub for steering rack

Post by BaldyTone »

Hi all, In my handbook it says to ludricate the steering rack with oil in grease nipple. Is there a proper oil gun for the job? I’ve tried with my grease guns, just goes everywhere except the rack! Can you use grease? Any help will be gratefully received, thanks, Tone
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Lub for steering rack

Post by palacebear »

A partial answer for you. I asked the same question on here a few months ago. The recommendation from a very knowledgeable forum contributor is to oil the steering rack not grease it. Apparently it's a b****r of a job. I still haven't done mine. To be honest I wouldn't recognise an oil gun if I saw one.
1956 4-door called Max
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Here''s a proper oil gun: https://www.frost.co.uk/hp-push-type-oil-gun.html

Other sources are available, that's just so that you know what to look for.

You can use a socket to remove the grease nipple and then squirt/drip oil into the rack before replacing the nipple. NB clean the nipple first and use blue tack or a paper wedge or a magnetic socket to ensure that you don't lose the nipple.

The debate about oil vs grease will go on forever. The original spec says oil but very similar racks on later cars used grease. I've always used oil on one car and grease on the other. After 25 years and around 400,000 miles, I can't see any difference between the two racks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The correct lubricant for a Morris Minor 1000 steering rack fitted with a lub nipple is EP 90. See BMC wksp man sections J1 & P2.
I do not consider that it is a b---er to lubricate the rack - just pull back the front top of the carpet in the L/H foot well, remove the rubber blanking plug and that gives access to the rack lub nipple.
Apply oil gun to nipple and give no more than 10 strokes of the oil gun.
Turn the steering wheel fully to the left and then fully to the right to distribute the oil. Straighten wheels.
Replace rubber grommet and roll back & fix carpet and the job is done.
I use a Tecalemit Plasti Gun lubrication gun (which is similar to the Frosts item above) which is suitable for either oil or grease.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tecalemit-Oi ... SwIzBa4Gtm

You can use GP grease but the grease does not travel along the rack as good as the EP90 so I would always recommend using EP90.
Some aftermarket steering racks do not have the facility to lubricate.

Phil

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I agree with Phil. Its dead easy if you have the oil gun, just as he describes. I wish all servicing jobs were as easy! Mine is the Frost gun as shown by simmitc.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Cheap and cheerful version on Ebay - I haven't got one yet so can't comment on its suitability

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-3 ... Sw2gxYpwHP
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would suggest that the item in the link above is totally unsuitable for the task in hand i.e. pushing oil through a oil nipple.

IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

The Ebay item is a oil 'suction' gun, and as Phil says is not the right thing for lubricating the steering rack.

Having bought a couple of things with the same manufacturer's name, they are generally poor quality and I avoid them like the plague now.
Richard

MCminor11
Minor Friendly

Post by MCminor11 »

Hi, i bought a small grease gun at a market and it fits perfectly. If you want to borrow it you are welcome to and i can send it by post. M
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks for the advice. I'd forgotten that it was a nipple connection - haven't done this job yet.
BaldyTone
Minor Friendly

Post by BaldyTone »

Thanks guys, thanks for the kind offer M, but I’m going to have to get one for future oilings! Is that a proper word!
Cheers,Tone.