Please post any problems you are having with the website here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: How to post a photo

Post by ManyMinors »

No. didn't think it would. I got an error message telling me the size was incorrect. This despite the fact that is is the SAME resized picture from my file that I have previously posted on another thread.
It is very frustrating. A forum we can't post photos on is somewhat lacking. I know that some members seem able to but why oh why can some of us who could before, no longer post even the SAME photos??
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

Had another try to upload pics today. Tried various file sizes and pixel counts, such as 600x768 pixels and 1.24kb; even as small as 376x395 pixels and 54.2kb. When I try to upload to the forum they all generate the same error message warning me that maximum permitted size is 1600x1600 pixels and that (irrespective of actual size) my pics are ALWAYS quoted at 4195x3096 pixels.
1956 4-door called Max
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes, that is exactly my experience too - and has been since March despite being told that no changes were made at that time :evil:
I don't have any problems loading my photos anywhere else. Just here.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Certainly sounds like a bug.

Good luck Mike and thanks for your efforts with the board service provider.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:52 pm Yes, that is exactly my experience too - and has been since March despite being told that no changes were made at that time :evil:
I don't have any problems loading my photos anywhere else. Just here.
Realised a short while ago that despite resizing etc., the upload error message is quoting the default pixel resolution for my camera, irrespective of actual image size. I've emailed the pics to admin. Will wait and see what Mike makes of them.

Don't know if it's merely coincidence but from my viewpoint, this has become an issue again only in the past week or so... since around the same time the correct 'edit' 'quote' 'delete' and 'report' icons were reinstated. Probably unrelated but I'm a cynical old technophobe!
1956 4-door called Max
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

The ONLY way I have been able to add your image is by embedding it within another pic entirely! Changing the file name, editing it in my own editor and embedding it into a brand new blank file, all sorts, and every time it refused to upload.
van3.jpg
van3.jpg (358.43 KiB) Viewed 28247 times
Okay, there IS a bug, and after a lot of digging I've come up with some bits of info on it - here's a couple of threads where it occurs, albeit with different messages:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2433446 and https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2445676.
It's apparently a rather old issue, but has only begun affecting our particular installation since the last upgrade so this
... despite being told that no changes were made at that time :evil:
isn't really helpful - as I said, I didn't make any changes at the time, we simply ran the upgrade. It is a security fix, and not running it isn't remotely sensible. So it has apparently introduced some bugs, and I'm going to have to work hard to try and track them down, but you'd think from some of the PM's I've received that I'd deliberately set about a course of action to make life difficult!

At the risk of flogging a very dead horse, I'm just another bloke with an hour or two spare and who put his hand up when the club asked for some help. I ain't superman, and I fix what I can when I can. I've very grateful to the people who PM'ed me with better details of the issues, which led me to track down what the problem really is, which is that phpbb is trying (and failing) to be clever and applying some checks to see the file size of images, including reading the metadata which was saved with the image when you originally took it on your digital camera/phone/tablet. Unfortunately the metadata applied by whichever app at least some of you are using to resize or crop your images is pervasive, and survives the resizing process, and so reports the file size to be the original size regardless of the fact that you've changed it. Once it had been resized, the image that PB sent me retained its (now incorrect) size information even through being pasted into a brand new file, and using my copy of Photoshop to re-edit it. If PB would care to send me the original file straight from the camera and I resized it, I don't think the problem would present, but that's not the point for now - the bug is present, and I'm going to need to track it down. BUT (big but) I'm off on Minors On Tour in a couple of days, and I've spent more than two full days on this and other messageboard/registration issues that I should have been using to get the car ready, so I'm a mile behind and I haven't got time to play with this now. Because of that, I'm going to temporarily clear the problem by changing file size limits to 5MB while I'm away, so although the bug is still present, it won't show up unless you're all really daft and start uploading monstrous sized pics. I'd like to ask you to continue to resize your images down anyway, but the board will not reject them for the next week or so.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

20180519_100847.jpg
20180519_100847.jpg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 28244 times
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Thanks for posting a response Mike. Once again, I for one am relieved to learn that, irritating as it may be, the problem lies not with my own stupidity, but somewhere else!

I will email you the originals of the 3 pics I sent yesterday. I realise that you need to concentrate on your preparations for MOT and therefore I don't expect a swift response! :)
1956 4-door called Max
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

I think time for a call out to Mike for all his hard work.

He is an unpaid volunteer doing a difficult and thankless task on a system he did not write the code for.

Let's be supportive.
Brian

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Agreed! :D
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'll go along with that. Just wondering, and the answer may be obvious to others, however why, if the file size has been expanded temporarily, can't it be done permanently?

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Mike will no doubt have a definitive answer. In the meantime I would guess that they occupy a lot of space, slow the servers down and (as I've found) can be very slow indeed to load when attempting to view them on some devices with less RAM
1956 4-door called Max
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

les wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:22 pm I'll go along with that. Just wondering, and the answer may be obvious to others, however why, if the file size has been expanded temporarily, can't it be done permanently?
As PB had already surmised, it's to do with speed and/or space. It might not seem much in the great scheme of things, but we can have two dozen 200kb-ish images for the same bandwidth price as one 5MB one, and on most screens I'd defy you to tell the difference. Just a couple of days ago someone posted an advert on the site with 15MB of photos in a single post, and on mobile data connections that can easily lead to the page timing out before finishing loading. I'll have a bet that I could recreate that same post and come in at under 1MB in total and none of you would notice a change! Not only does that frustrate the user (who's paid for the bandwidth to download the page but not seen it) but it also contributes to a poor rating from Mr Google, who watches these things with a beady stern eye.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

BrianHawley wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm I think time for a call out to Mike for all his hard work.

He is an unpaid volunteer doing a difficult and thankless task on a system he did not write the code for.

Let's be supportive.
Your tenner is in the post :lol:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

LouiseM wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 8:59 amWhat exactly do you still need the answers to DavidW / Firedrake? The issues raised here relating to photo size have now been fixed, and details regarding how to attach a signature photo are included within the messageboard FAQ's ('FAQ' tab top left of page). Can you both please be a bit more specific about which problems you are referring to as still being outstanding. Thanks.
I am trying to put a photo in my signature, and I can't find anything in the FAQ that tells me how to do it. All I can find is a small section on how to add a signature - app.php/help/faq#f2r2. This does not tell me how to add a photo to a signature.
Can someone please point me in the right direction?
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

Hi Neil.

Here is the code from my signature if it helps.

Note that the reference to the picture points to a picture posted elsewhere on the board. I presume it could also point to a picture hosted on a different server, although I have not tried.

Code follows:

Code: Select all

Brian

[img]http://www.mmoc.org.uk/Messageboard/download/file.php?id=4821[/img] "Jodie".[size=60] '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.[/size]
Brian

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

BrianHawley wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:52 pm Hi Neil.

Here is the code from my signature if it helps.

Note that the reference to the picture points to a picture posted elsewhere on the board. I presume it could also point to a picture hosted on a different server, although I have not tried.

Code follows:

Code: Select all

Brian

[img]http://www.mmoc.org.uk/Messageboard/download/file.php?id=4821[/img] "Jodie".[size=60] '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.[/size]
Thanks Brian.

I've tried that, using a link to a photo stored on Google Drive, but it won't play. It keeps saying it is unable to verify the image size.
cheers N

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

Try posting a picture in this thread, then link to it. Should work.
Brian

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

IMG_20190823_125342_3.jpg
IMG_20190823_125342_3.jpg (7.55 KiB) Viewed 26748 times
cheers N

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ndevans wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:48 pm
Thanks Brian.

I've tried that, using a link to a photo stored on Google Drive, but it won't play. It keeps saying it is unable to verify the image size.
I had that problem, the site is very, actually more like extremely, fussy about the image size and where it's hosted.

It has to be quite a small image if I recall correctly. I used imgbb.com to host
Basil the 1955 series II