Indicator switch.

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Indicator switch.

Post by Johnno »

Hi Guys,my original bakelite indicator switch has taken to turning itself off too soon.Is there a repair available for these? Or does anyone know of a fix?
Thanks,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Indicator switch.

Post by palacebear »

It sounds likely that the little air-bellows thingy in the switch has started leaking and is emptying itself too quickly. I'm not sure if a repair is possible. Replacement switches were available a few years back but were VERY expensive. Unless you need to maintain originality it may be easier to change to the slightly later type switch. It fits on a bracket (easy to fabricate) which houses it vertically beneath the dash. The switch has the drawback of NOT being self-cancelling, but it does have a reasonably bright warning lamp, for which I believe you'll need to run an additional earth wire.

Pictured below is the switch on my Series II saloon (4-door) which replaced the broken self-cancelling type. IIRC this type of switch was, in any case, standard fit on most, if not all Series MM and Series II 2-door saloons and convertibles.
DETAIL 24.JPG
DETAIL 24.JPG (101.35 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
They were a standard Lucas 'parts bin' product fitted to numerous makes/models in the 50's so a good used one shouldn't be too hard to find
1956 4-door called Max
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

My Series II 2 Door has the Indicator switch as shown. Don't know if that's the original location, but it is hard to miss... :D
20170906_111737.jpg
20170906_111737.jpg (462.23 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Only five miles on the clock ??????
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

no earth wire is needed for the indicator warning lamp in the switch!
[sig]8872[/sig]
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

geoberni wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:38 pm My Series II 2 Door has the Indicator switch as shown. Don't know if that's the original location, but it is hard to miss... :D
Almost certainly originally tucked away, conveniently invisible, by the driver's right knee, like mine is. With your set-up you've certainly got no excuse for forgetting to switch them off! :lol:
I love that period-look heater switch too :)
1956 4-door called Max
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

To answer Johnno's original question, I recall it being discussed on the forum last year. A bit of searching found this post which may be helpful:
win wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:51 pm The time delay switch is pneumatic, a leather seal pushed by a spring, the air escaping is reduced by a small conical screw, to slow down the return to the centre.
I have made them work before, they can be very temperamental, the leather seal is softened with oil, having said that, mine failed again this W/E.

Regards Win
Also search YouTube using search term
'Lucas Electropneumatic Trafficator Timer Repair'
to view a short video which may help. Tried posting the link here but can't for some reason.
1956 4-door called Max
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/ts101.htm
Hi All
Further to my previous post regarding my attempted repair, please find above link to MG site this is an excellent step by step repair guide.
If you do replace your switch, please do not bin your old one, I know a good home.

Kind regards Win
South Yorkshire
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Shropshiremoggie wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:46 pm Only five miles on the clock ??????

Replacement.
The one that was fitted when I brought it hadn't moved for several years!
I took a look at it and the gearing had stripped, probably because the counters had jammed with the grease drying out.
I would recommend anyone with a high mileage/original speedo to take it apart and make sure the gearing of the milometer is lightly greased.
Basil the 1955 series II

Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Cheers guys,all taken in.I`ll have a think on this one.
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Hmmmmm,anyone got the later type switch? Had a look at mine but only got it working very erratic.