Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ashb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

ADVICE ON SERIES 2 WINDSCREEN WIPER MOTOR NEEDED

Post by ashb »

I have just aquired a series 2 ,4 door saloon from ebay that requires some "minor" fettling to get back on the road but no welding! totally solid with no rot or patches! :D . One of the many small items that requires attention is the wiper motor ,there is enough bits to hopefully build up one that works but am unsure as to how it all fits behind the dash having only ever worked on later 1000s . Would anyone have a photo of one in situ? any help would be appreciated.

mach2
Minor Fan

Re: ADVICE ON SERIES 2 WINDSCREEN WIPER MOTOR NEEDED

Post by mach2 »

I'm sure i could get out and take a picture tomorrow morning, that is if someone doesnt beat me to it

if in doubt give it a clout!
ashb
Minor Friendly

Post by ashb »

Cheers! all very new to me, hope to have it soon as a daily driver to help save some of the wear and tear on my 25 year owned minor 1000!

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Not the easiest place to take a photo[frame]Image[/frame]
Diagram of wiper assembly and bracket which is held by a triangular mount with 3 rubber pads[frame]Image[/frame] Early wheel box on right[frame]Image[/frame] Wiper rack. Note wheel boxes are opposite ways up
After fitting ensure all clamp screws on wheel boxes are tight and there is no movement of the outer rack which will cause the wiper blades to sweep erratically
[sig]3580[/sig]
mach2
Minor Fan

Post by mach2 »

here you go
its the drivers side in case you didnt know
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
need any more pictures just shout

if in doubt give it a clout!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Your mounting rubbers have detatched themselves from the bracket. You need a new mounting plate
[sig]3580[/sig]
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Seems to be a common problem... :(
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
ashb
Minor Friendly

Post by ashb »

Thanks for the fast replies! should be able to work out how it goes together now :D.this is the old lady concerned [frame]Image[/frame]

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Remove steering wheel , inst. panel and fuses.
Disconnect speedo cable and oil gauge feed pipe and move inst panel out of the way.
Remove wipers and withdraw spindles into the car.
Undo 4 bolts securing motor bracket taking care not to lose any down the A post.
You should now have enough movement to disassemble the motor or rack.
Assembly is the reverse, inserting the spindles through the holes after the motor and bracket have been re assembled and bolted in place.
Take care not to disturb any wiring
[sig]3580[/sig]
ashb
Minor Friendly

Post by ashb »

The new wiper motor went in ok and works but the poor girl is missing a wheel box, lots of later ones came with her but they are obviously different, time for part hunting again!

craigb
Minor Friendly

Post by craigb »

Wasn't sure if best to start a new thread for this - there are images in here that might be useful.

This early '49 tourer I am restoring seems to keep throwing up challenges! I purchased a triangular wiper mount for it only to find that it appears to have 3 individual (broken) rubber mounts, similar to what some cars have on air cleaners or fuel pumps with a male thread either end. Looks like these are a BA thread though making other options unlikely to fit!

Does this sound right for an early car? My local experienced MM advisor said "haven't seen one of them before". Does anyone know where to get these mounts...... or is this yet another early model NLA item! I figure i could fit this triangular mount i have by drilling and tapping a couple of threads in the motor housing or maybe swap a newer motor in, although my local expert said that my wipers and the posts are different and would have to be swapped to a newer motor and that might have other challenges.

It seems to be a very unmolested car so i am trying my hardest to keep as much of the original 'odd' stuff there, although i know you can't see it and i am sure some would see this as being pedantic. I even went to the trouble of restoring the starter with '48' stamped into it..... not that the owner thinks these things are important ... I feel like we are just custodians for a while and faced with the opportunity to set things right, I should.

Any help greatly appreciated.
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Tiny BA spanners make removal easier. I did this job a few times and also had the detached rubbers. Contact adhesive like Evostik soon sorted it. Even back then (1980s) wheelboxes for the series 2 were scarce. I got a spare motor and a pair of wheelboxes of a scrapper. Wish I'd kept my spares from back then, be worth a packet now. I also had a full set of windscreen trim off the same car.
Good home offered for custom splittie
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Craig, I have a May 1950 MM and found I also had a different fitting on my wiper motor. I contacted Club Spares but Bryan had never came across it either. I found I was able to use the mounting bolts, washers and rubbers off the base a 1000 wiper motor and it did the same job as the old bonded mount.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/body-i ... te-p829070

Too many Minors so little time.....
craigb
Minor Friendly

Post by craigb »

Thankyou. That's fantastic David - I assume those threads are the same and i can see how that would fit. I don't mind the challenge of trying to sort such things but makes it a whole lot easier with these forums and people generous to share their knowledge.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Yes I was able to use some off a second hand wiper motor I had off a scrap car, all fitted together no prob

Too many Minors so little time.....
craigb
Minor Friendly

Post by craigb »

Just a bit of an update in case it helps others. I got the 1000 style mount but talking to a friend, its still is going to have contact without incorporating that style of bush or trying to modify for width etc. I am sure it works fine and maybe it doesn't have any more vibration and probably be happy with that myself, but with it not being my car I thought I would have a go at finding something like the original that works. Checking threads it is very close to an M5, I think when i checked the diameter is fractionally larger but thread spacing identical to the eye and an M5 screw would start to screw in. So I ran an M5 tap down the thread and looks great. Lots of those M5 vibration pads on ebay, just had to grind a bit off the thread end that was a bit long. They are a few mm smaller in diameter with the rubber bit but the overall length similar, taking into account the original with metal ends with the spanner fitting that are thicker - ie. a bit more rubber and less metal. I hope someone doesn't come back with good reasons why this will fail!
DSCN2395.JPG
DSCN2395.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 4039 times
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

craigb wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:22 am Just a bit of an update in case it helps others. I got the 1000 style mount but talking to a friend, its still is going to have contact without incorporating that style of bush or trying to modify for width etc. I am sure it works fine and maybe it doesn't have any more vibration and probably be happy with that myself, but with it not being my car I thought I would have a go at finding something like the original that works. Checking threads it is very close to an M5, I think when i checked the diameter is fractionally larger but thread spacing identical to the eye and an M5 screw would start to screw in. So I ran an M5 tap down the thread and looks great. Lots of those M5 vibration pads on ebay, just had to grind a bit off the thread end that was a bit long. They are a few mm smaller in diameter with the rubber bit but the overall length similar, taking into account the original with metal ends with the spanner fitting that are thicker - ie. a bit more rubber and less metal. I hope someone doesn't come back with good reasons why this will fail!

DSCN2395.JPG
That is a clever solution although we do stock the correct mounts for the MM & S11 CR and CRT type wiper motors in the club stocks
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
craigb
Minor Friendly

Post by craigb »

But just confirming for clarity of thread, this early mount is different to S2 or 1000 or even 1950 MM's with the triangular shape mount. I know this thread is asking about S2 but because of info already contained in it I had asked a question about the odd very early mounts. But agree good to confirm you have those other mounts given the title. This solution is not going to work for the other cars because the wiper motor won't have the three threaded holes in the motor and I assume they just have two.

There is so much weird stuff on this early car that has tripped me up along the way but I'm glad to try and preserve those differences. Current challenge for today - missing window winder mechanism - travelled to grab one off the spare 1950 car...... and its different - which is not totally surprising because the early cars had longer window winder handles i found out. I grabbed both thinking i didn't have the energy to chase a hidden behind door trim part...... can't fit! Holes in the door are different including the angle. Now looking for one early window winder .... but need to put that in its own post once i find some photos. I'm wondering if it is same as morris 8?