door cards

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

door cards

Post by Johnno »

Hi all,are door cards available or has anyone got a set for a `52? Would prefer a used set to match the unrestored condition of my car.
Thanks,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Re: door cards

Post by JohnV »

Will be curious to watch this thread and see if any door cards turn up.

I can go one better: I need a complete, entire interior for my 1949 Tourer. Came with nothing that was correct for the car.

One day ...
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Johnno. i MAY have a set but they'd be quite messy, having come from HFH200 some years ago. I'll have a look. I would only have saved them for the fabric so they may be worse than you would want to fit to your car. I'll go for a wander down to the sheds later today.
Rob
Cardiff, UK
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

RobThomas wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:57 am from HFH200
Then they will be better than any I may have as the best I had went into her! :lol:

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Oh, and there I woz thinkin' you were just havin' a clear-out when you built it! :D :D :D
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Poop. Looks like I used them to supply the patches for our '52 trim panels. All I could find were the rear side pieces.
Cardiff, UK
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

In the same vein as Johnno and JohnV, if anyone has or knows where to get a set of door cards in beige for an early 50 saloon, I'd be very interested. The rest of the interior is in great condition and has lovely patina but the material on the door cards is torn and frayed around the edges. In the absence of replacements, it may need to be some careful gluing to make do.

Philip
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I assume you know about these? Or perhaps I misunderstand what you are looking for.

https://newtoncomm.co.uk/collections/2- ... oor-panels
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Hi Nickol,

Thanks for the link, these are the sort of door cards I was looking for. I was vaguely aware of these being available from NC. I was really hoping to find some original ones to match the original interior which has nicely aged. These new door cards may not match too well being new but good to know they are available. Just need to find a way to age them to match the remaining interior.

Thanks

Philip
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

Not sure, but I'm not convinced Newton Commercials has a match for the original vinyl on the door cards, whatever colour.

Has anyone asked?

NC confirmed to me last month they don't have an exact match for the buff fibreboard used for the parcel shelf and scuttle (kick) panels on the early cars.
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Hi John

I received a sample, in beige, yesterday from Newton Commercial so I can compare with my interior. I only need the door cards, the rest of the interior is really good, so I want something that looks like a reasonable match. From a first glance, it looks ok but not exact. I'll compare the sample with the car at the weekend and will report back.

Philip
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Hi John

I mentioned the other week that I had received a sample of MM beige vinyl from Newton Commercial.

I have now compared it with the original door cards from the car and whilst the actual colour is not a great match, the pattern of the vinyl is quite good and looks like original. If you were replacing all of the interior, I think it would be fine, but if you were mixing new and original then the colour match isn't great.

I'll just need to keep looking for a decent second hand set of door cards !

Philip
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

Thanks, Philip. Appreciate the research.

I do in fact need to replace the entire interior (see article on my car in the current Sep/Oct issue of Minor Matters), but am not quite there yet so will let this play out a bit.

best, jv.
philipkearney wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:34 pm ... I had received a sample of MM beige vinyl from Newton Commercial.

I have now compared it with the original door cards from the car and whilst the actual colour is not a great match, the pattern of the vinyl is quite good and looks like original. If you were replacing all of the interior, I think it would be fine, but if you were mixing new and original then the colour match isn't great.

I'll just need to keep looking for a decent second hand set of door cards !
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Hi John

My copy of the magazine came in last week and I quickly scanned your article. Looking forward to reading it in more detail. Looks like a big challenge but it will be fantastic when it's finished.

In some ways, a whole new interior may be easier than trying to match old and new. A complete interior from Newton Commercial might be ok.

Looking forward to seeing your progress in due course.

All the best

Philip
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Just taken delivery of a special sprayable colour tint for Rexine to remove 'steering wheel stains' from my front seats. Will take photos next week when I do it. In the meantime, John...https://ratchford.co.uk/product-categor ... thercloth/
https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming- ... -vinyl.php
Cardiff, UK
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

Rob: Thanks for these. As I'm roughly 2 years away from starting to think about the interior, I hope others who've had to re-create a (maroon-piped) interior from thin air will share their expertise meanwhile.

Just to give you an idea (per the Minor Matters piece), I presently have no seats, side panels, door panels, or scuttle panels. Am hoping I can find at least seats to restore in North America, as shipping a set of seats from the UK sounds like £££ ...

RobThomas wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:56 pm Just taken delivery of a special sprayable colour tint for Rexine to remove 'steering wheel stains' from my front seats. Will take photos next week when I do it. In the meantime, John...https://ratchford.co.uk/product-categor ... thercloth/
https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming- ... -vinyl.php
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Hi Rob

Many thanks for the two links for the suppliers. I don't suppose you know whether either of them supply a beige vinyl that is anywhere close to matching the original MM beige ? Everything available seems to be a very bright beige rather than the deeper yellow beige of the original cars.

Thanks

Philip
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

If you strip an original seat you'll find that the Vinyde has faded massively and was originally a much lighter creamy colour. I'm trying to match the CURRENT colour rather than the original. I'll try to get a comparison piccy when I get some time. Flat out working and rather knackered at the mo. :D
Cardiff, UK