9” drum brake query

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mattress
MMOC Member: Yes

9” drum brake query

Post by Mattress »

Hello all. I’m currently working on my 56 Series 2 and came to look at the brakes, expecting 7” drums on the front. Instead, mine has 9” drums on the front and whilst, fortunately, the shoes and cylinders look to have been recently replaced and never driven, I am mindful that at some stage I may need to work on them and want to know just what they are from.

Internal diameter is 9”. The drum and backplate appear to have bolted straight onto the standard hub. There is a hole in the drum to allow access to the adjuster on whatever car this was from - obviously redundant on my Moggie. The casting number on the drum is ADA4092 or 4892.

The bit of Googling I did suggested Wolseley or Riley but then Austin Ambassadors came into the mix. Any ideas? Incidentally the brakes overall are shocking so I still have work to do anyway. 😀

Matt
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Re: 9” drum brake query

Post by Monty-4 »

The Riley brakes are also deeper than the standard so that'll be a clue. I'd guess Wolseley.

They should be nice and effective if they are 9", although still requiring more effort than modern cars or those with a servo added.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The brakes are Wolseley 1500.
Below are the Riley version.
Riley 1.5 front brakes 2.jpg
Riley 1.5 front brakes 2.jpg (293.07 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Additional to the above the Woseley Brakes have Lockheed cylinders - the Riley brakes have Girling cylinders

Mattress

Post by Mattress »

Many thanks Phil and Monty. Really appreciate the information.

Matt
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Why do you say that the hole in the drum for the adjuster is "redundant on the Moggie"? Surely the hole in the drum will still line up with the adjusters if you have the Wolseley 1500 brakes fitted?

I found the Wolseley brakes to be an excellent upgrade on my Minor many years ago.