Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

gear changing

Post by arnoldsally »

Hi, 1968 moggie 1000 salon has a "sloppy gear change" if I am not careful it will crash into 1st from second instead of going into 3rd, is this normal or can anything be done.

thanks in advance - Patrick.
callyspoy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: gear changing

Post by callyspoy »

Aye up,
Have you checked the condition of the cup and spring in the remote? The sloppiness shouldn't be too mad on these as you should have the ribbed case 'box.
The crunching into 1st accidentally is almost certainly linked to the vagueness, but i always found with classic cars (well, my old Heralds and Minors), that when changing gear, i would move purposefully into the neutral position before selecting the next gear. Rather than in a modern, where you'd change in one motion from say 2nd to 3rd. This always helped me to ensure i selected the correct gear. And i taught my wife to do the same, she's a seasoned classic car driver now 😍
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

The Minor as with most classic cars does have a long throw on the gear lever, and there is no biasing towards any position.

Gear changing has to be a slower and more definite action, with a decisive move to the right going from 2nd to 3rd, I used to catch 1st when I 1st took up Minor driving. No racing gear changes !.

There is the possibility of fitting an incorrect gear lever, think it is shorter at the base, so will cause difficulty in selecting gears - sure someone else will know fully, but may be an option to look at.

Is the car new to you, or is something that was OK and is now getting worse.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It IS possible to have the wrong gearstick fitted. The one for the smoothcase gearbox is different to one for the later ribbed case gearbox, but also the steel plate which holds the gearstick in place can wear and that alone can lead to a sloppy gearchange. Worth a look anyway.
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

callyspoy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:11 pm Aye up,
Have you checked the condition of the cup and spring in the remote? The sloppiness shouldn't be too mad on these as you should have the ribbed case 'box.
The crunching into 1st accidentally is almost certainly linked to the vagueness, but i always found with classic cars (well, my old Heralds and Minors), that when changing gear, i would move purposefully into the neutral position before selecting the next gear. Rather than in a modern, where you'd change in one motion from say 2nd to 3rd. This always helped me to ensure i selected the correct gear. And i taught my wife to do the same, she's a seasoned classic car driver now 😍
Thank you for your reply, I am looking at it on Wed and will let you know.

Thanks Patrick
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

ManyMinors wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:09 pm It IS possible to have the wrong gearstick fitted. The one for the smoothcase gearbox is different to one for the later ribbed case gearbox, but also the steel plate which holds the gearstick in place can wear and that alone can lead to a sloppy gearchange. Worth a look anyway.
Thank you for your help, I will look this Wednesday, thanks
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

biomed32uk wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:54 pm The Minor as with most classic cars does have a long throw on the gear lever, and there is no biasing towards any position.

Gear changing has to be a slower and more definite action, with a decisive move to the right going from 2nd to 3rd, I used to catch 1st when I 1st took up Minor driving. No racing gear changes !.

There is the possibility of fitting an incorrect gear lever, think it is shorter at the base, so will cause difficulty in selecting gears - sure someone else will know fully, but may be an option to look at.

Is the car new to you, or is something that was OK and is now getting worse.

Thank you for your help, I will look this Wednesday, thanks
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Previous thread comments

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68597
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

Nickol wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:02 pm Previous thread comments

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68597
Sorry
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

nothing to be sorry about - hopefully the comments given in that thread are helpful
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

Nickol wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:30 pm nothing to be sorry about - hopefully the comments given in that thread are helpful
Hi Nickol, I just am mentally aware when changing from second to third so I dont crash into first so I think I will leave it and accept its old car driving lol.
thank you Patrick.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

4-speed gearboxes generally did not have a bias spring that takes the gear lever into the 3rd/4th plane, so they need a positive movement from 2nd ACROSS and up into 3rd. The bias spring became the norm with 5-speed, and 6-speed manual gearboxes, and that is what we have become accustomed to, with the bias spring making the movement across the gate for us; making the earlier non-biased 4-speed box seem to be 'all wrong'!

Just think of 2nd to 3rd as the same as 4th to 5th on a 5-speed box, where a positive movement across the gate movement is necessary, and all will seem fine.
Last edited by IslipMinor on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Richard is right. Those that have driven three speeders, 4 speed crash boxes - and only then had the luxury of synchromesh and 5/6 speed gearboxes - they present no great problem. It is only those that have no experience who seem to find difficulty with these very basic gear shifters.

Several of my ‘vehicles’ have three positions with the stick towards the driver. One option is 2-1-3 (from left to right) and the other is 2-R-3 (from left to right). The first is 4-R with the stick forwards . The second is 1-4 forwards (can’t remember which is left and which is right at this moment in time, but they are marked on the gearbox casings). Neither have any detent springs, or any other gear changing aids. They are simple to use.

Some of the forumers perhaps need to try a “rubik cube’ column change on some 1980/90s Ford tractors. Eight speeds with one lever (and not in-line gear changes).
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

IslipMinor wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:34 pm 4-speed gearboxes generally did not have a bias spring that takes the gear lever into the 3rd/4th plane, so they need a positive movement from 2nd ACROSS and up into 3rd. The bias spring became the norm with 5-speed, and 6-speed manual gearboxes, and that is what we have become accustomed to, with the bias spring making the movement across the gate for us; making the earlier non-biased 4-speed box seem to be 'all wrong'!

Just think of 2nd to 3rd as the same as 4th to 5th on a 5-speed box, where a positive movement across the gate movement is necessary, and all will seem fine.
Yes and thank you. Just got to remember its an old car lol.
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

oliver90owner wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:04 pm Richard is right. Those that have driven three speeders, 4 speed crash boxes - and only then had the luxury of synchromesh and 5/6 speed gearboxes - they present no great problem. It is only those that have no experience who seem to find difficulty with these very basic gear shifters.

Several of my ‘vehicles’ have three positions with the stick towards the driver. One option is 2-1-3 (from left to right) and the other is 2-R-3 (from left to right). The first is 4-R with the stick forwards . The second is 1-4 forwards (can’t remember which is left and which is right at this moment in time, but they are marked on the gearbox casings). Neither have any detent springs, or any other gear changing aids. They are simple to use.

Some of the forumers perhaps need to try a “rubik cube’ column change on some 1980/90s Ford tractors. Eight speeds with one lever (and not in-line gear changes).
thank you. Its an old car and I have forgot how to drive them lol.