chassis-rail repair sections vs early Series MM cars ??

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JohnV
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

chassis-rail repair sections vs early Series MM cars ??

Post by JohnV »

I've been corresponding with ESM regarding their full-length chassis leg sections, which will be needed on both sides of my '49 "USA" Tourer, aka Clementine.

(If you're a MMOC member, you'll see a feature on the car in the Sep/Oct issue that should be arriving any day now!)

ESM has confirmed their sections are only for RHD cars, meaning the clutch pivot is on the wrong side. That's likely a fixable problem.

More crucially for what I intend to be an authentic restoration to as-built condition, has anyone compared ESM replacement chassis legs to the original on a very early Minor?

Do they differ ... and if so, how? All thoughts / advice / info welcomed.
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: chassis-rail repair sections vs early Series MM cars ??

Post by RobThomas »

DSC08714.JPG
DSC08714.JPG (2.33 MiB) Viewed 1236 times
John. Looking at the ESM site, those new legs don't go back as far as you'd need them to go. Are you sure that it isn't just the tie-bar brackets that are different between the 2 sides on the ESM ones? You might need to fabricate all the bits round the pedals anyway, unless I've got the wrong idea. This one is RHD, factory assembled for Aus. Looks like the ESM panel stops just short of the pivot hole which on ours was left open and unbushed.

PS Emailed pics on the way.

Rob
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Ah! Just seen the page with full-length legs. I'll investigate further.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

First glance shows a different return spring bracket inside the leg.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

jv5.png
jv5.png (452.58 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
jv4.png
jv4.png (890.77 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
jv3.png
jv3.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1234 times
jv2.jpg
jv2.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
jv1.png
jv1.png (989.48 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Cardiff, UK
JohnV
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by JohnV »

Rob

Many thanks for the photos, which I've added to my folder. Pleased to see the brake line running inside the cutout at the side of the gearbox crossmember, which is still there on my car.

It strikes me the best way to check is to get hold of a couple of the sections once the shell is on the rotisserie, and simply compare length by length. Brackets we can deal with, but if the main stampings have more strengthening bends in them than the 1949 car, it may not be worth modifying them after a certain point.

The challenge for me is that the nearest vendor likely to have the parts in stock to borrow is a 260-mile journey. I think I'll cross that bridge when we get to it! Appreciate the help.
RobThomas wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:56 pm First glance shows a different return spring bracket inside the leg.
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.