Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Knocking noise & bushes

Post by 67-2door »

Hi all.
My 1966 saloon has had a light knock from the front passenger side suspension for a while when going over bumps, just recently you can also hear a slight knock when turning the steering wheel side to side.
I investigated yesterday, couldn't detect any play in the trunnions, the only thing I found is quite a bit of play in the rubber bushes where the damper arm fastens to the top trunnion which I'm hoping is the cause of the knock.
Is it worth replacing the top trunnion to damper arm bushes with poly bushes? And if so do these need any fettling to size or anything to fit?
Or are the original rubber bushes the way to go?
Thanks.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Knocking noise & bushes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Poly bushes will last longer than rubber and 'should' fit without fettling. Grease them before fitting or you may have creaks and squeaks!
If that doesn't cure the knock, and the swivel pin/trunnions are OK, and the bump stops are in place, then there may be some wear in the steering ball joints or even steering rack - I once had an elusive knocking/tapping noise that was cured by a new steering rack.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

All of the suspension bushes when requiring replacement should be replaced with Poly Bushes.
The only exception to the rule is the rod bushes which should have a rubber bush fitted behind the tie rod bracket for articulation and a Poly Bush in front of the tie rod bracket to hold the tie rod/steering steady under braking.
If there is nothing obvious I would suggest that the problem lies with the bushes in the end of the rack which are prone to knocking when worn.
Unless you have the tools and skills to overhaul the rack a new or replacement rack is the order of the day.

67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Thanks guys.
poly bushes ordered from esm, I'll hopefully get them fitted later this week & we'll see if that cures the knock.

67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Just an update. Fitted the poly bushes to the top trunnions this morning & the knocking noises are all gone :D

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Success! :D