Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Lower trunion to swivel pin

Post by Hillclimb1 »

Can anybody shed some light on this subject as I'm stuck, I got the lower trunion to swivel pin on first time, to do this I had to remove the threaded pin which fits which the bushes in the trunion, when putting it back in the swivel became real tight and wouldn't move at all. I had to disassemble it all, now the trunion won't go on. Any way around this, what do I do?
Attachments
20180902_122205.jpg
20180902_122205.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 1497 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Lower trunion to swivel pin

Post by philthehill »

The trunnion pin will not go through the bottom trunnion until it has been screwed sufficiently up the swivel so as to fit through the waisted part of the swivel.
You should be able to turn the trunnion on the swivel 180 degrees either way without the trunnion pin contacting the swivel threads
Make sure that the grease deflector tube (if fitted) between the trunnion pin bushes is moved out of the way of the swivel threads and when the trunnion is fitted aligned with both of the trunnion pin bushes otherwise the trunnion pin will not go through.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

There looks to be some dirt in the threads that are visible.
I would take it all apart again and make sure it is spotlessly clean before trying again.

Also have a look for any burrs on the threads.

Phil
Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Hillclimb1 »

It's all together now, feels alittle stiff but it's turning as should? This was an example photo, they were cleaned and grease up upon assemble.
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Did any one notice the trunion pin shown has threads of equal length as against original has the back one shorter.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst the original BMC had unequal length threaded pins to compensate for the different thickness of the two suspension arms some pins currently produced have threaded pins of equal length so there is nothing untoward or of concern in having the lower trunnion pin with equal length threaded pins provided that the pin is fully fitted through the nut once fitted.
Another sign that the trunnion pin is not original is that it has UNF threads and not the original BSF threads.
The best trunnion pins for fitting to a Minor are those from the Marina as they are surface hardened and the production finish is superior to the original Minor specification. They are near identical to the original Minor trunnion pins but have UNF threads.