Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Another insurance question

Post by palacebear »

I've just got a quote for my Moggie from Classic Line Insurance, offering a premium which is 30% cheaper than my current insurer is quoting for renewal.

Just one question. If anyone here uses Classic Line, would you recommend them?

Thanx.
1956 4-door called Max
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Another insurance question

Post by geoberni »

Sorry, not heard of them, but I recently switched to FJ as they quoted about 24% cheaper than Lancaster wanted for my renewal.
Basil the 1955 series II

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I got a quote from Footman James because they seemed to be the ones recomended by the MMOC.
They were quite expensive and I ended up getting a MUCH better deal through Adrian Flux.

Phil
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I'm with FJ at the moment. Classic Line are quoting £38 less.
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

PB: Very mixed reviews on Trust pilot , (3* only) with some horror stories. Looks like they are a broker rather than an Insurance company. Suppose you pays your money etc, but saving that amount and getting rubbish service is the equation. Looks like their admin and early cancellation fees are very high

JM
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Remember that premium cost is not the only important consideration. As other have hinted, you also need to consider service levels and brand knowledge. The club does recommend FJ because they have consistently offered the best all round deal, and have excellent brand knowledge.
67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Peter James were a lot more competitive for me than footman james, and in all my dealings with them so far have been excellent.

sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

i have my classic motorcycles insured with Peter James..very reasonable.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Try RH classic insurance on 01277 206911. My last minor was £78 fully comp with breakdown cover, and if you unfortunately write the car off, they give you the salvage back for free!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Plenty of suggestions. Thanks all. Time for some web research ... reviews etc! :)
1956 4-door called Max
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I’ve changed to FJ after a good quote. I think the insurers offer good premiums to attract new customers and it will then creep up in subsequent years. Shopping around for quotes and changing providers is tedious but now seems necessary.

Years ago companies rewarded loyalty but now they exploit inertia instead.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ianmack wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 am I’ve changed to FJ after a good quote. I think the insurers offer good premiums to attract new customers and it will then creep up in subsequent years. Shopping around for quotes and changing providers is tedious but now seems necessary.

Years ago companies rewarded loyalty but now they exploit inertia instead.
I would normally agree, and it certainly seemed to be true when my Morris renewal came about.
The only exception seems to be my regular car which has been with 'Quote me happy' for the past 3 years, as their renewal has easily beaten the major comparison sites. It's the on-line only service from Aviva.
Unfortunately the bigger companies like that don't seem to like Classics/Vintage. I couldn't possibly consider trying to do my Minor online only with all the tweaks that have been done over the years, like the 948 engine to replace the 803.
Basil the 1955 series II

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I was with Footman James for about 20 years and then decided to shop around. I went to Lancaster for a year and did save about £100 on my group policy, but I no longer had occasional commute on all the cars, agreed value had to be specified and was not easy to sort and heard through some other peoples misfortune that there recovery service was not up to speed.

I decided last September to go back to Footman James, I saved some more money as I removed the breakdown cover as I already pay for full AA cover. The renewal is in again this week and I think its super competitive at £260 odd, thats for 4 minors 1 of which is daily used and lives on the drive and an Austin 10, all agreed value and with 3 named drivers also on the policy. Hard to beat that I think.

Too many Minors so little time.....
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

I was able to convince my wife that it was ok to get a classic car again as the day-to-day cost was minimal.
We are on a bit of shoe string (young family!) so i was using a 250cc motorbike. That was £110 insurance, £38 tax and then MOT.
The Minor costs me just the insurance, which with fully comp, breakdown cover and crucially allowed to to drive other cars, was £180 through Adrian Flux. So comparable and i don't get as wet! The only snag is that the car won't be as good on fuel, so i can't use it every day like i was the bike. I'm 32 with only one years car NCD (i have mainly had classics on and off for 10 years, so not built up any reasonable NCD).
I appreciate that the MOT exemption is not to everyones agreement, it isn't really for me either, but it has allowed me to get a classic again!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

R H classic insurance beat all quotes I had and were brilliant to deal with nothing is too much trouble :)