Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mfhphil
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Colour change

Post by Mfhphil »

I bought my better half a 1959 Tourer in cream with her as the third keepers and a genuine 54000 miles. I was convinced it was the original colour with a red interior and hood (checked under carpets, trims etc and all cream). I just couldn’t get my head around the grey hood frame though, so I sent for a Heritage certificate for the supplying details. Turns out the car was originally sage green with green trim and hood, which looking at photographs usually came with a grey hood frame (puzzle solved). We have loads of paperwork with the car back to the fifties, but no mention of a colour change. We like the cream colour so it’s not a problem but I was fascinated with what would have made a complete colour change necessary. Eventually managed to locate and write (pen not email) to the widow of the original owner who told us via her son that in the sixties her husband bumped one of the front wings and took it in for repair where he saw a new Tourer in Old English White with red trim and hood, so the repair became a complete colour and trim change to match the car he’d seen.
My apologies if you’ve nodded off while reading this geeky stuff 🤓
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Colour change

Post by GavinL »

There appear to be people who think all Minors should be Old English White :D our saloon has been painted OEW (very badly), the original colour was Peat - a shade of brown. However i'll probably not return it to Peat after rebuilding it, my wife fancies Maroon which I think is a good choice, especially as Peat piping is no longer available.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

GavinL wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:50 pm There appear to be people who think all Minors should be Old English White :D
Whereas really they should all be Sage green! :D

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Porcelain Green or clipper blue :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Or even highway yellow ! 8)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Maroon looks good when polished, but is still liable to fade more quickly than other colours. Not as bad as the original maroon, but still noticeable.