Outer headlight rim

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
manlyvaleaussie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Outer headlight rim

Post by manlyvaleaussie »

Does anyone out there have an outer headlight rim for the MM high light, must have the original screw with it. Also, where does everyone stand with a lead additive for the 918cc engine. Thanks, Paul Follett.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Re: Outer headlight rim

Post by alanworland »

Can't help with the rim but I use Castrol Valvemaster, don't do that many miles but it seems ok.
The old sidevalve has to work hard, best try and look after it!

Alan
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

@manly: If you're able to find one, may I stand in line behind you for the next one? I got just one with my '49 Tourer.
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.
sparesman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by sparesman »

There are some new rims on ebay
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

If it's this ad:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... 1075142963
then those are the later style, not the earlier style used on Series MM cars with the external worm screw to fasten them on.

Or did I miss a set of the earlier ones, and if so, can you provide a link? :)

(Sorry, Bryan, hadn't realized it was you initially. Apologies for curtness.)
sparesman wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:04 pm There are some new rims on ebay
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

John

There were some screw type ones on there but guess must have gone. I found the original ones off my MM in the garage last week. Need rechroming as I replaced them with new ones.

Did you contact Gary Booker re the MM water pumps and are you coming over next month for the NEC show?

Bryan
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

Bryan

Sadly I am not able to come over in November for the NEC Show this year as it conflicts with a family commitment. Hope to make it to the UK before EoY but not entirely sure as yet.

Will drop Gary B another note on the water pumps.

best, jv.
sparesman wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:15 am There were some screw type ones on there but guess must have gone. I found the original ones off my MM in the garage last week. Need rechroming as I replaced them with new ones.

Did you contact Gary Booker re the MM water pumps and are you coming over next month for the NEC show?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Cardiff, UK
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

Yup, that type. Sadly sold now. I only need one more personally (for Clementine) but they're rare as hen's teeth in N America.

Would be great if you see any of those on auction again ... with thanks ahead of time! :)
RobThomas wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:38 pm https://picclick.co.uk/Bmc-Austin-Morri ... 13640.html
This type?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Next time in in the garden I'll have a look round the sheds. :D
Cardiff, UK
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

I somehow acquired 3no secondhand split rims sometime ago. All three were rechromed for a 1952 MM restoration. I kept two and only rejected the third one as the Chromers polished a small corner off the rim where the join is at the bottom of the rim. It has original screw and is in my garage somewhere.

If someone can tell me how to load a photo (tried with no luck) I will upload.

Ian
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Fire it off to Me, Ian, and I'll post it up.

Short version is to press "Reply", click on the tab below your message that says [Attachments] and then press [Add Files] which will take you to your files in your computer but they need to be smaller than the ones you send since it will reject large files. You may first need to open that same file in one of the programs like "Microsoft PAINT" and click on something like "resize" to make it perhaps 30% of the original photo size.

Rob
Cardiff, UK
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Hi Rob, I tried all that before I gave up. The message was there were too many pixels in my photo and that was after I resized several times.

Will have another go.
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Rob - PM Sent.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I had more luck saving it as a .PNG file, rather than as a .JPEG file. I don't know what the difference is but the Internet seems to like it.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

thumbnail_MM Headlamp Rims before.png
thumbnail_MM Headlamp Rims before.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3317 times
thumbnail_DSCN2378.png
thumbnail_DSCN2378.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 3317 times
Cardiff, UK
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

Rob, Ian

Sorry for late response, I've been lagging on MMOC Forum notifications.

I presume the first of the two photos shows Rob's three, and the second one is Ian's rechromed one? I'd be happy with the latter if you'd be willing to let it go (and could collect it from a UK address over the holidays).

Perhaps drop me a private message? Thanks in advance, either way.

best, jv.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Those are all from Ian. He had 3 and had them rechromed. Nowt to do with me, other than posting them up, John.

On OUO164 the rims have screws that come in from different sides so they were 'handed'. Not sure if that was original.
Cardiff, UK
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

Rob: Aha, thanks then. Much appreciated. Will wait for a shout from Ian.
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

John V - Private message sent.