Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Fuel Economy

Post by Nickol »

When I did my LHD conversion of my '69 Traveller, I fitted a new reconditioned 3,9 diff. That was three years ago and since then I have only used the car locally in a hilly area where I live, with occaisional trips to Frankfurt.
Unhappily my good Lady in undergoing treatment in Hospital at the moment and as her son is a doctor there, we decided she should go to Freiburg in Breisgau for this where he works. I travel there every week now to visit for a couple of days.

Now to the point. Last week I drove there in Morris as the weather is so nice. From here to Freiburg along the A5 Autobahn it is 350km. Mostly I travel at +/- 90 kmh. I tanked with super plus before I left and there refilled it again in Freiburg for the return trip. I put 21 litres in it. That works out to exactly 6 litre per 100 km which according to my table is 47,08 mpg.

I think this is fantastic - almost as good as my modern diesel, albeit that I drive that at about 130kmh.

Do others have a similar experience?
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by IslipMinor »

I think this is fantastic
Maybe you should change your strapline to reflect the reality?

On similar primarily motorway trips at around 130kph (~80mph) our 1380 will return 35mpg+. In 5th, the gearing is 20.5 mph/1000 rpm, so at 80 mph that is 4,000rpm, and very unstressed.

Up to around 3 years ago, I would rely on 30mpg, but since fitting the Nodiz 3D mapped ignition system, the consumption has noticeably reduced by at least 10%, which over 10,000 miles has made a good contribution to paying for the system!
Last edited by IslipMinor on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I have always had good fuel economy from my Minors. When I used to commute daily (Completely standard Minor 1000) I used to record 41/43mpg with every tankful. It drops from this if you drive only short journeys of course but I recorded every tankful when on holiday this year and driving well over 1000 miles of mixed driving and several tankfuls miles we averaged just over 45mpg.
I did once drive 300 miles on one tankful - the car must have been running on fumes when I refilled!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Those are good results. My 948 engine will return between 39 and 41 miles/gallon in mixed driving conditions - including lots of steep hills round here! If fuel consumption drops, I find a service of plugs and points and setting the valve clearances brings it back up. Running on under-inflated tyres will reduce mpg as well - I run on 30psi.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Maybe you should change your strapline to reflect the reality?

You will have to explain that to me...strapline????

Anyway, it seems this is not unusual fuel consumption but I will certainly check the tyre pressures again because they appear a bit flat at the bottom :D Thanks for the feedback.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Your signature strapline of 'Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind' = 'God save me from storm and wind, and cars that are from England'
Richard

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Ach ja! Stimmt wohl - :D
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

We have done 10K miles in our 1959 Traveller with a 1098cc engine and have averaged just over 40 mpg in that time. We once got 54 mpg on an uninterrupted motorway trip to Yorkshire. Only 51 mpg coming home as there was some congestion.