MMOC Member: Yes

Expensive Traveller at Aston Workshop.

Post by Dogsdad »

Nice car but too dear for me.
See www.aston.co.uk
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: Expensive Traveller at Aston Workshop.

Post by Murrayminor »

Surely if a person was to buy a one owner low milage traveller and have it completely restored it could be completed for rather a lot less than £36,000 or am I completely out of touch with the value of classic cars?
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

A bit cheeky I know but.........
Assuming that one is all correctly restored, I thought it was a handy source of reference photo's to download and keep.

Phil
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Stupid price :o
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

This is an ultra rare car. Don't think I've seen one of these on the road since...........Thursday!
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

mine is only half as good as that example but

GBP 36.000 / 2 = GBP 18.000 = ca. € 21.000

I am rich !
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

What I cannot get my head around is the fact that it has been winning concours events for over 30 years since the mid 1980's but it still looks brand new underneath.
I wonder how many miles it has covered under its own power on the road during that time, and how many miles in a covered trailer.

I cannot see it staying as clean as that for very long once someone starts using regularly.

It is extremely nice though, I bet it has had an enourmous amount spent on it to get it like that.
I showed my wife the photo's of it last night and she said it just looks "just too new" and has no character left, I suppose she is right and in reality not much of it will be its original parts anymore

Phil
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

In remarking on the seemingly extortionate price, what you all seem to be overlooking is the fact that it has antifreeze - it says so in the ad! :o However, having glanced through the rest of their non-Aston stocklist, minis priced at fifty grand and eighty grand do seem to suggest the existence of a different, parallel automotive universe.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I once owned a very clean 1275gt mini which had been completely restored by the previous custodian, I bought it and drove it home.
The guy nearly died when I told him I actually used it on the open road, his intention was to keep it as a show car.
I then competed in a touring assembly around Ireland in it, and as you can imagine it rained every moment I was there.
Needless to say the clean car was washed and used regularly, that minor although it is near perfect (too perfect?) Will spend the remainder of its life doing nothing, which in think is a crying shame.
Cars don't suit sitting around,they need to be used.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Murrayminor wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 pm ...that minor although it is near perfect (too perfect?) Will spend the remainder of its life doing nothing...
Maybe we're all missing the point here; perhaps it's 'art' rather than a vehicle of transport. Could even be the latest development in the Banksy syndrome - as soon as the purchaser has signed his cheque for forty grand, the jaws of the car-crusher in which it's actually parked slowly close and compress it into a suitcase-sized display item, thereby immediately increasing the 'value' to £100K!
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

It appears on the same site you can buy a Morgan 3 wheeler for less than a mini.
I can only think that sadly someone out there has the money and the idiot credentials to spend that kind of dosh on cars that should by rights have people certified and dispatched to the funny farm.
Where angels fear to tread
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

pgp001 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 pm A bit cheeky I know but.........
Assuming that one is all correctly restored, I thought it was a handy source of reference photo's to download and keep.

Phil
Good idea - done! If this is a guide to Concours, do I now need to paint my rear bumper irons white?

Mark
squire
Minor Friendly

Post by squire »

Did anyone notice the Grumpys top engine steady modification, the original one not been welded back on the bottom of the battery box! A good restoration if they can't get that right and at a cool £30000 plus 😂🤔🙄
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The original engine steady bar is not welded to the underside of the battery tray - it is bolted on and its fitment was an after thought by BMC which usually leads to the steady bracket cracking the battery support. BMC did not put much thought into the design of the steady bar and mountings and the same can be said of the gearbox steady cable fitment(s).
Whilst the Grumpy's engine steady bar is not a factory original item it is a much better means of steadying the engine than that originally fitted.

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

I note that it has not won anything in recent years?
Good home offered for custom splittie
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

The NMP plate appears to be from a Morris J type van. That had the strip attached to the plate. Interesting to see if it matches the strips on the bulkhead. Cannot see them in the photo.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

The NMP plate itself looks exactly as my similar age Traveller - but the strip below it seems to been transplanted from the bulkhead for some inexplicable reason during the restoration.
Murrayminor wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 pm Surely if a person was to buy a one owner low milage traveller and have it completely restored it could be completed for rather a lot less than £36,000 or am I completely out of touch with the value of classic cars?
I understand the big name restorers are charging £20 - 25k to take your car and fully restore it. If your Traveller was sound enough to be suitable for restoration it would probably be worth a minimum of £4k before restoration, so getting into the same ballpark as this one, but without the concours history. A Yorkshire restorer's website claims "We cater for all budgets from a good quality respray to a £40k + “full concourse” better than new purpose built car."

I wouldn't/couldn't pay that sort of money, but there are quite a few people who can....
squire
Minor Friendly

Post by squire »

philthehill wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 pm The original engine steady bar is not welded to the underside of the battery tray - it is bolted on and its fitment was an after thought by BMC which usually leads to the steady bracket cracking the battery support. BMC did not put much thought into the design of the steady bar and mountings and the same can be said of the gearbox steady cable fitment(s).
Whilst the Grumpy's engine steady bar is not a factory original item it is a much better means of steadying the engine than that originally fitted.
I thought they were welded on later cars, I'll have a look at my 1970 traveller when I get chance. However, bolted or welded on is not the point I'm light heartedly trying to make, for £36000 I would have thought something like that would have been put right when the car was restored as it would lose marks in concours events if that's your thing. All the prices on the cars are silly money tbh, but if they sell them then good luck to them, just my thoughts that's all.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

Um, sorry, I may have missed summat on the vendors' website but can anyone in the MMOC tell me when that trav last won any kind of prize in any MMOC event? It all looks a looong time ago on the selling site.
Meanwhile, should anyone wish to offer me 36,000€ for my trav which beat an awful lot of posh cars in the south of France recently to win ´best restoration' please let me know.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but hadn’t the warning stencilled on the radiator top been dropped by then?
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.