Do you warm up engine before driving away?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
will.broad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Do you warm up engine before driving away?

Post by will.broad »

Now the colder weather is here and i'm using the car everyday, I have seen different opinion's about this. Some people say to start the engine and drive off, others say let the engine warm up for a few minutes before driving off.
Who is right?
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Do you warm up engine before driving away?

Post by Murrayminor »

I usually treat all my cars the same way.
I usually allow them a short period of time to get the oil flowing before setting off and then I usually dont use many revs until it's fully warm.
That along with regular oil changes seems to keep them running fine.
Too much choke can actually wash the bores which is a bad thing.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

If you let engine warm up before you go and drive it don't leave it unattended as it might not be there when you come back as I know someone who left his car running and went back inside for a few seconds and car was stolen and was later found burnt out.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Fit a winter thermostat.

Fit a temperature gauge otherwise how do you know the engine is up to working temp.

Drive away after starting but do not labour or over rev the engine until up to normal working temperature.

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Some years ago a friend of mine told me that he left his car ticking over on the driveway to warm up and went back into the house. When he returned after a few minutes the car was gone. He rang the police.
They turned up a while later, not very happy and handed him the keys to the car.
He had not secured the handbrake properly and the car rolled driverless down his driveway, across two lanes of a dual carriageway before coming to rest on the wide central area still ticking over, which was where the police found it.
He did not say but most probably he was fined with penalty points on his licence.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

As soon as the oil pressure is up I generally drive it.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I've read that driving immediately gets heat into the engine faster and thus generates less wear than leaving it to warm on the driveway.

As such this is what I do, although I've looked at engine pre-heaters but it seems to be overkill for the trusty old A-Series.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

It is considered deliterious and bad practice to leave the car idling in order to warm up. I think this is mentioned in the 'Driver's Handbook' where the advice is to use the choke and drive off immediately, pushing the choke back in as soon as the engine will run without it. That way will get the engine up to optimal running temperature quickest. As mentioned above, leaving the choke out too long will lead to excess condensed petrol washing the oil from the cylinder walls, leading to wear and corrossion - not to mention excessive fuel consumption.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I have pre heaters fitted to my 3 vehicles, they do a splendid job.
When I have to start from cold moving off with consideration is the way to go.

Alan
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I just turn mine on and drive away. Choke off after the first corner. They seem happy enough with that!
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

My Minor's running is REALLY LUMPY in very cold weather - probably down to the wrong needle in the carb, or poor adjustment, or something like that that I haven't been bothered to check into - so I practically have to warm it up before leaving. There's just no power whatsoever if I don't.

But probably don't be like me. :lol:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Fingolfin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:37 pm My Minor's running is REALLY LUMPY in very cold weather - probably down to the wrong needle in the carb, or poor adjustment, or something like that that I haven't been bothered to check into - so I practically have to warm it up before leaving. There's just no power whatsoever if I don't.

But probably don't be like me. :lol:
Maybe just needs a good service, especially points and plugs? Might be wrong needle, if you think that a possibility, or mixture a bit weak. Or ignition timing a bit out.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Mine runs lumpy when cold due to fitting an alloy inlet, one of the reasons that the exhaust and inlet manifolds were cast as one was to allow smooth running when warming up. I have a hif 38 fitted and have been considering removing the alloy manifold and chopped standard exhaust manifold and then fitting a mini 12g787 manifold.

Mind you, it goes great when warm.