Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

MOT Exemption

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hello peeps. My 1955 Minor has passed her MOT without even advisories for several years and, being a bit skint right now, I'm thinking I would skip the MOT this year and, perhaps do it every other year.
My question is, do I have to notify any authority that I am taking advantage of its MOT-exempt status, or do I just let the MOT run out and do nothing? It is my only car, so do use it regularly. Ta.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: MOT Exemption

Post by geoberni »

Mine had an active MOT when I brought it and I let it run out to see what happened and haven't had it done since.

The MOT Check page now shows:
MOT RED.JPG
MOT RED.JPG (29.33 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
while the Vehicle Enquiry page now shows:
mot green.JPG
mot green.JPG (13.25 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
But the key thing is, the MOT expired in early Sept 2017, but I re-taxed shortly after and it allowed me to do it without requiring any declaration of exemption etc.
I have just re-taxed it again this year without a problem, so DVLA must be happy with it.

I've also had the Police assisting me at 2 different breakdowns last month and they never questioned it, so I'm guessing the APNR didn't activate :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

Chappers
Minor Friendly

Post by Chappers »

Well I had Maisie MOT’d in September this year.
I bought her last year from a reputable classic car dealer along with a new full MOT as part of the deal.
Whilst I have no doubt that the guy who sold me the car was (and is still) trustworthy, there is always the thought that the MOT at the time was done by a “colleague”. Now although they would and indeed should advise any issues, there is always the possibility in my suspicious mind, that little things just might have had a blind eye turned for a mate in the trade?
The only way to satisfy the mind is when you MOT the car the next year at another garage.
Now as the MOT is done by a human being, each tester will have different judgement over minor issues.
I had recently renewed the rear brake shoes and springs, wheel cylinders and drums, the rear flexible hose and both handbrake cables.
The car seemed fine, but after being informed that she had passed with no advisories, I had a chat with the tester regarding the brake test readings and balance, which were very good.
I also had the chance to go into the pit with him and we had a good look at all the underside, and the result was that Maisie is in very good condition throughout.
I plan to continue to get her MOT’d every year for the reasons above, if only for a reassurance that any work done meets acceptable (and safe) standards.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

OK, well it seems I dont have to do anything then.........?
sid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sid »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:49 pm OK, well it seems I dont have to do anything then.........?
i think when you come to renew the tax,you will need form 'V112',declaration of exemption from MOT from a Post Office.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

sid wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:45 am
myoldjalopy wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:49 pm OK, well it seems I dont have to do anything then.........?
i think when you come to renew the tax,you will need form 'V112',declaration of exemption from MOT from a Post Office.
Not borne out by my experience, as illustrated above, although I guess anything is possible with the DVLA.

Edited to Add:
Actually, that form is only if you are, for some strange reason, going all the way to the Post Office to Tax your vehicle, instead of doing it on-line.
So long as myoldjalopy hasn't changed anything and has got the Form 'whatever number' which comes in the post to remind you your vehicle tax is due, then you just do it online, Simples, as the Meerkat would say.
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

The only things I have changed recently are the gearbox and differential oil! :D
I will leave things alone then and see what happens when her road tax is due. I will tax her online.......
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 pm The only things I have changed recently are the gearbox and differential oil! :D
I will leave things alone then and see what happens when her road tax is due. I will tax her online.......
:D :D
If you have a short period between the MOT falling due and the Road Tax being due, check the 'Vehicle Enquiry' page and see what status it shows. If its the No Results box, I think you'll be OK. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

squizzel
Minor Friendly

Post by squizzel »

I have decided to MOT every other year, when I taxed it online this year I still had to fill out a declaration form. It then said that the form has to be filled in every time the car is taxed.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

'geoberni' - I just checked and it says:

Taxed - Tax due 1st April 2019
MOT - no results returned
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Ive just taxed mine and the mot exemption applied, so that just leaves the insurance annually.
Marvelous.
Where angels fear to tread
somerset

Post by somerset »

Although none of our cars need an mot anymore I have a sneaky feeling that, in the event of an accident many insurance companies might be a bit difficult settling a claim for any car without a current test certificate. Even though my convertible is serviced annually by Charles Ware I still get an mot as well.

Incidentally my friendly mot tester lets me go under the ramp to have a look at what's going on underneath the car, which is an added bonus!
Alan Cole, Queen Camel, Somerset.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I don't see how an insurance company could legally play hard to get, if the law permits an mot exemption.
I've not heard of cars that have previously been exempt being penalised in that way.

Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

I guess the concern is valid if, after the accident, the vehicle is found to be unroadworthy. Not sure that having, say, an 11 month old MoT would help, as the MoT is only a measure of the car on the date of the test. An unroadworthy vehicle is just that, it's unroadworthy and therefore illegal, but I suppose getting a test every year might be some mitigation in the event of an accident. The answer is having a vehicle which is roadworthy. Personally I'm happy that I can judge this myself and am willing to take that responsibility. I wouldn't want to drive it of it wasn't. If in doubt get an MoT, or perhaps better, an inspection by a mechanic who knows his stuff regarding our cars.

Regards

Ian
squizzel
Minor Friendly

Post by squizzel »

My son had an accident in ours. We had to have it inspected by an assessor, but MOT was never raised as an issue
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I took part on the consultation for this and intend to now do what I felt was the best solution. I feel that, in many cases, an annual MOT is excessive (I have just renewed the insurance for my MG Midget and noted I had covered 285 miles) and that it should be based on use (For all cars for that matter; should a car doing 25 or 30000 a year be checked after 75 or 90000 miles and then after 25 or 30000?). I intend to get an MOT every 1000 miles or three years, whichever is the sooner. For me that will probably mean one MOT a year and each car will get checked, in turn, every three years. The Midget had it’s last compulsory MOT in August.

There was confusion over the way the scheme was implemented (With the DVLA and DVSA passing the buck). I saw that MOT exempt was not showing up on my cars, when they became MOT exempt. I checked some pre 1960 cars and they were showing as MOT exempt and I couldn’t understand why mine were showing “No results returned”. This is apparently what will show and I have been able to tax cars which are now MOT exempt, without issue.

My insurance company said that so long as they are concerned, MOT exemption is legal and not a matter on which they can pass judgement.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My dads 1927 Austin Seven used to show MOT exempt but now shows no results returned. A friend has got an A35 which had a full restoration last year by a classic car restorer and came with a MOT when it was finished and just had it MOTed this year and the A35 failed with leaking brake cylinders and other things wrong with it and the A35 has done under 100 miles. Other people I know have done 1000s of miles a year in their classics and no problems.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

It is important to periodically press the brakes and the clutch, when cars are not in use (I move them as well). However, as there are other faults, this may have had no bearing on things.
southerly95
Minor Fan

Post by southerly95 »

Mine has been MOT’d this year and will be every year. I’m good mechanically and electrically but don’t have the knowledge regarding chassis/bodywork. The answer of course is to replace rust damaged areas when they appear but I’m not always sure what is load bearing and what is not.
Happy Christmas one and all 🎄
[sig]4918[/sig]