Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

MG Minor and Traveller query

Post by Blaketon »

I sent a query in to club HQ, to which I have not had a reply.

It concerns a photo (I have tried to attach it but it isn't showing for me), in my father’s book on MG saloons. It seems that an MG version of the Minor was considered and it looked rather like a small 6/80. I wondered whether the club were aware of the car. I think it was meant to replace the MG Y Type (Which used part of the Morris 8 Series E body) but in the event, the Y Type was replaced by the larger Z Type Magnette (If I were ever looking to acquire more cars, a Z Magnette would be high up the list…higher than any Ferrari).

The next one concerns the Traveller and Issigonis. How much of the Traveller is down to him (I know he had gone to Alvis by the time the Traveller came along)? In other words, is the floorpan of the Traveller basically like a saloon only with different rear bodywork or was the floorpan reworked for the Traveller?
Attachments
Minor MG.jpg
Minor MG.jpg (78.17 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: MG Minor and Traveller query

Post by palacebear »

As far as the 'MG Minor' is concerned, it is mentioned and the picture, posted by Blaketon, appears in Paul Skilleter's book 'Morris Minor - Thle World's Supreme Small Car'. Styling was developed alongside the Minor before production of the latter began. The pictured car is a full-size non-running styling mock-up built as early as 1946. The project was dropped before a running prototype was built. The project also included a Riley version which never got off the drawing board and a Wolseley version (smaller than the 4/50 and reviving the pre-war Wolseley Wasp name), which made it as far a a full size clay mock-up, again circa 1946, before being dropped.
1956 4-door called Max
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree with you that the Z type Magnette would be a desirable car to own. We did consider one some years ago but my wife felt it would be too big for her to manage. They are a relatively large car. As you say, the Y type used the centre body of the Series E Morris/Wolseley 8 so was rather small and cramped although a very attractive model.
To answer your second question. Yes, the Traveller uses the same floor pan. There are a few small differences in the sill area and the traveller uses the same double skinned inner sills as the convertible for extra strengthening. I know of two convertibles which started life as travellers.
The rear inner wheel arches are the same too but with a different flange spot welded to them and although the boot floor is slightly different, the cars are the same length and share the same rear bumper mounts. I do not know who was responsible for the design but a prototype traveller certainly existed early in 1951 and was based on a sidevalve car with the earlier "short bonnet".
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I recognise that radiator. Flatter than the Y-type but just as tall. I added a starter hole to mine. I wonder if it came from that very car?
ez body1s.jpg
ez body1s.jpg (34.98 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Cardiff, UK
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

RobThomas wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:33 am I recognise that radiator. Flatter than the Y-type but just as tall. I added a starter hole to mine. I wonder if it came from that very car?ez body1s.jpg
Thats a very nice looking car Rob, British racing green of course.
Where angels fear to tread
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm glad to see my picture has appeared.

The MG looks like a TA/B/C (According to DVLA it's a Morris)? A TA or TB would be at the very top of my "Additional cars list", as both are eligible for https://www.vscc.co.uk/ events. Whilst I like the Morgan 4/4 and the earlier M/J/P series Midgets, a T might be an easier car to own.

Both my MGs now have MG Car Club and MMOC badges sharing their badge bars :D .
Attachments
IMG_0009sml.jpg
IMG_0009sml.jpg (49.26 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

It's a Morris Eight with MGPA body tub and some fancy bits on it. Not sure of the origins of that Rad shell but it originally didn't have a starter hole. Rad inside is MG Y-type
Cardiff, UK