MM Quarterlight Repair

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
spike_esq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MM Quarterlight Repair

Post by spike_esq »

Thanks again for all the interest and wonderful comments and in the case of Rob such terrific finds. It's such a great pity that the two quarter light finds are rusted through. Double drat. So I still have to go once again the route of modifying a later quarter light frame. Remember I did this for the N/S already. I do need the lower swivel block as earlier explained. I have made some progress on the copper rivets and flaring tool locating a supplier in the Midlands but quite expensive. Especially the flaring tool but since I cannot find then there's little option to splash out. Let me get these components first then I would not mind coming over the bridge to look at your operation in Cardiff. Many thanks thus far Rob. Welcome any further feedback. Regards.....spike.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I made the first bottom brackety thing and was just about to polish it when I realised I'd sliced it from the wrong end. Buggah!

Anyway, at least I know how to make them now. Small screw is 2BA and the bigger one is 1/4 BSF. Dome headed Posi
pivot1.png
pivot1.png (381.58 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
heads.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Sudden thought....why even bother with the original design? If the blasted things keep breaking then why not slit the whole thing right across and use BOTH screws to clamp it? Then it would never break off. Currently the 'hinge' action is right at the weakest point, hence the breakages.

Edit. Just found out that is what Morris actually did, however, I shall continue with the Lowlight version, Harry.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

pivot3.png
pivot3.png (871.61 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
Slot cut from the correct end, this time. Bit of shaping with the file and then some zinc plating. Not original buy waaaaay less likely to crack in half.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I'm available here after the 22nd for a few days if you want to drop by, Spike. Plenty of notice would be appreciated so I don't go and book myself to do something else. CF61 2GS
Cardiff, UK
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hi Rob,

Greetings and please refer PM. The lower pivot block you made is now fitted. Terrific thanks.

I just have a quick question about the top pivot block mounting orientation. I know it fixes to the top channel with the 2x domed counter sunk screws on the block flat faced surface. But which way around is the block attached with straight face to the outside of the channel or with the face with end curves to the outside of the channel. At the moment and totally inadvertently I have one fitted each way. I have attached to photos of the pivot block. Many thanks.

Regards,
Harry.
Attachments
MM_TopPivot_02.jpg
MM_TopPivot_02.jpg (119.4 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
MM_TopPivot_01.jpg
MM_TopPivot_01.jpg (132.03 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I can't see any specific reason for either direction unless it interferes with the rubber profile??
Cardiff, UK
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hi Rob,

Glad you found the photos Rob and thanks for the reply. Sadly I do not have the rubber and likely never will have. I have been in touch with Frank McD who is active on this issue. I think I will mount with the straighter of the two edges on the flat face to the open edge of the frame top channel. If any of the readers can take a look and confirm my proposed orientation for the top pivot block it would be welcome.

Perhaps someone does have a MM low light quarterlight rubber that is up for grabs. Condition is not a major issue. Check the old unused doors around in the garages etc. Just a thought. Thanks for following this thread as it continues to be an interesting journey. We're not quite their as yet. Cheers.
Regards...harry
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Dear All,
I just thought the readers and contributors to this post would like to see the "finished" results. Well as you all know this is minus the quarter light rubbers which are proving difficult locate in the marketplace. Please refer to the attached pics. A big thanks to all who have followed and in many cases enjoyed this journey. Hopefully there are lessons learned here and influential people are listening. I will leave you to draw your own conclusions. Should anyone wish to further discuss then I am still here. Appreciated and many thanks so much.
Regards.....harry.
Attachments
WFrame_01.jpg
WFrame_01.jpg (340.09 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Quarter_10.jpg
Quarter_10.jpg (268.29 KiB) Viewed 1640 times