Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
manlyvaleaussie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

MM sound insulation/proofing

Post by manlyvaleaussie »

Looking for advise on where to purchase sound insulation/proofing for my MM. Ran across a company by the name of NK group, they have a kit that seems to cover everything but the roof and trunk lid, anyone heard of them and/or used their products. Any and all help would be appreciated. Paul Follett, Yuma, AZ U.S.A. manlyvaleaussie
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MM sound insulation/proofing

Post by irmscher »

Try Ebay lots of good soundproofing material on there
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

I bought the Noise Killer kit for the minor plus extra to do the rear of the Traveller. I haven't got as far as fitting it yet but it weighs a tonne.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I used latex backed sound deadening felt from 'Woolies Trim'. It just comes in a roll and you cut and trim to size as required and I used their own adhesive which was very effective.....even under the bonnet (hood? in your case :D )

The whole exercise i.e. insulating the passenger compartment floor, interior bulkhead, bonnet and boot (trunk?) was all very easy and VERY EFFECTIVE.

Sorry, I can never manage to successfully create a 'link' to any other website but obviously if you just google 'Woolies' you'll find what I'm talking about.
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

In case anyone is interested here are some images of the Noisekiller kit. All the parts laid out in the boot area and list of pieces plus image of passenger footwell piece in place.
The footwell parts are loose laid, allows them to be removed for access to MC and gearbox floor bung. Other vertical parts are self adhesive.
All seems simple so far but I've only fitted footwell pieces today.
Attachments
DSC_1525.JPG
DSC_1525.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1663 times
DSC_1524.JPG
DSC_1524.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1663 times
DSC_1528.JPG
DSC_1528.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1665 times
manlyvaleaussie
Minor Friendly

Thanks to neilmorey for the pics. and info. on the kit from the NK group, most useful.
manlyvaleaussie
Minor Friendly

Thanks to owlsman for the info on the Woolies deadening felt, I have been to the website and see that they sell it by the metre, how much did you order and did you use it for the roof and/or the boot lid? Regards, Paul manlyvaleaussie
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

To be honest I cannot remember how much I ordered. I think it was about 5 metres and that was enough to line all the interior of the car (front and rear floor pans, transmission tunnel, and the bulkhead up to the parcel shelf), the bonnet, the boot lid and there was enough left over for a boot 'carpet'.

I do think this material is very effective and somehow makes the car feel much more solid, as well as being much quieter of course.
manlyvaleaussie
Minor Friendly

Thanks again to owlsman, I forgot to ask if you ordered more than one can of the adhesive. Thanks, Paul.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Just 1 tin of the adhesive was plenty. On the flat surfaces i.e. floor and transmission tunnel you don't need to cover every square inch with adhesive. Do use plenty if/when insulating the bonnet however.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Keep your working area well ventilated as the fumes from the adhesive are terrible