Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Body shapes after 1964

Post by olderisbetter »

I was wondering if there is any difference in the 2 door car body shell after 1964, Did it change at all again before the end of production, The 2 cars i looked at today seem identical but the 1964 is going to be used for parts and i wondered if anything will not fit, The engines are both 1098 and to my untrained eye i can see little difference.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Body shapes after 1964

Post by ManyMinors »

The bodyshell did change during late 1964 from the early type dashboard (with pull type switches) to the later type with toggle switches - along with the different header rail for the later sunvisors etc. However if your 1964 car is from late in that year then there were very few changes after that until the end of production in 1970. I can think of seatbelt mountings but not much else off the top of my head.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Bodyshell codes?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I think the 64 was 1056xxx and the later car is 1278xxx i presume you mean the chassis numbers and not the other number on the right hand side of the engine bay below the tax disc.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I think you'll find that chassis number 1056xxx pre-dates the 1964 changes, meaning that the car in question would have the earlier dash panel and roof header rail etc. A different bodyshell from the later cars if that answers your question. Mechanically there will be very little different and the majority of parts will be interchangeable.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Thanks for that info, I have to go down to the unit where stuff is this week so ill take more note, I cannot remember what dash the 64 has but i remember it had a heater box with the chrome toggle switch in the middle.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes, the later type heater pre-dated the later type dashboard by a year so an early 1964 car which has the early type dashboard and pull switches would have been fitted with the late type "fresh air" heater and the air intake trunking running through the engine bay.
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

I've got a 61 saloon and a 67 trav. The later heating and ventilation system is much superior, but less aesthetically pleasing to my eye.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

olderisbetter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 am I was wondering if there is any difference in the 2 door car body shell after 1964,
My 1955 Series II has had replacement doors installed about 20 years ago and since 3 of the glasses (both Drop Glass and one 1/4 light) were etched with a J reg, I suspect the doors were from the same car. They are not the best of fit, but they're OK. So I think the body shape isn't that different, even from Splittie to wide screen, it's more the internal dash arrangement.
Basil the 1955 series II