Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Core Plugs

Post by olderisbetter »

Are there any core plugs that can be recommended, I am in need of a few as 2 have failed in a block, It is a 1098 minor but if all A series engines are the same core plug i would be happy to buy more than i need as i am sure i will need them again.

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Core Plugs

Post by philthehill »

All Morris Minor small bore 'A' Series block core plugs are the same. Large bore blocks have cup type core plugs.

The standard steel core plugs can be substituted with brass core plugs which will alleviate any core plug failures in the future.

Make sure that the core plug in the rear of the block is not forgotten and should be replaced at the same time as the others.

https://www.coreplugs.co.uk/index.php?r ... path=75_78

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Thanks Phil, Brass seems a much better option and yes i think changing all would be better and i want them all out anyway as this is going to be a spare engine, Is the sealant for core plugs thay have on that site good? I think the last time i used anything for core plugs it was Hermetite gold and i don't think that it is around now.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

So long as the core plug seat has been cleaned of rust etc there is no need to use sealer but Hermetite RED is a good substitute.
Before you remove the core plugs give the water jacket a good soaking in Citric Acid for at least 48 hours. I left diluted Citric Acid in a 948cc block for a fortnight and the water jacket is now like new. I used 10 tablespoons Citric Acid / 600ml of hot water.
I gave the water jacket a final flush with rain water.
When you have got that rear core plug out give the water jacket a rake through to clean away any sediment around the drain plug.

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Thanks again Phil, I have a few things on the go using citric acid and i was thinking about using something like an old central heating pump to make a heated pumped system to clean rusty parts and maybe the engine water ways, The hot water does help the process and if it is a success i will post pics and if not no big loss.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Wellseal jointing compound is what I have used on core plugs recently, seems to have done the job.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

I use Heldite jointing compound similar stuff to welseal...

taupe